Started by Sir-diealot, August 03, 2018, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Cutting you can see brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 03, 2019, 09:02:44 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 03, 2019, 05:16:52 PM
With the season coming around again in a couple of months and seeing many people posting I thought I would bump this again since it seemed to be so interesting to so many.

You stick with the suggestions that we gave you? If so , hows it coming along
Trying hard with the way I keep it against the knuckle, it still feels awkward but that is to be expected with something new and especially with my arthritis and all. I can tell a difference though for sure in how the sound resonates as opposed to holding against the meat of the finger.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2019, 09:22:15 PM
Cutting you can see brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the pictures. Yea dog has been going into the girlfriends room and she has been shutting the door. lol. Can't run the longbox in the house though, all the dogs downstairs go nuts as does mine. I can't get the landlord mad at me. lol
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Harty

Interesting and educational thread. I basically hold it as recommended here. Some nice tips on striker pressure etc,but I'm not going to overthink it . Thanks everyone!

Spitten and drummen

Its amazing how a little change goes a long way. It took several years to prefect my hold. Bottom line is its more to just making ovals on the surface for yelping for instance. You get a feel for adding and subtracting striker pressure during the sequence of the yelp and it goes from being a nice adequate yelp to a great yelp. Seems to help put more emotion into the call.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

compton30

I do exactly what Halloran does in this video, except I keep my index finger pointed out when yelping, which you can see Halloran's wife doing at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocG1P6UKSV0

Treerooster

Quote from: compton30 on February 06, 2019, 04:33:05 AM
I do exactly what Halloran does in this video, except I keep my index finger pointed out when yelping, which you can see Halloran's wife doing at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocG1P6UKSV0

Thats how I hold mine...I think.

I learned from a video by Bill Zearing from Cody Calls. He taught to have the striker rest on the knuckles of the middle finger and held in place by the knuckle of the thumb. For some reason he said that was important...not sure how important it is, but that is how I hold a striker and I can't do it differently now LOL.

I also keep my index finger off the striker for yelping and put it on the striker for purrs & clucks. If I am going to do a lot of purring & clucking I move up on the striker as Halloran does in the vid.

SoIncallcollector

With the season coming around again in a couple of months and seeing many people posting I thought I would bump this again since it seemed to be so interesting to so many.
This is a great thread. Tons of good info from alot of people way smarter about using a striker than me! I'd be interested like you were in the original post to hear about striker grain pattern and how it plays a role. Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SCGobbler

I am switching things up this year and this seems to be working well for me.

https://youtu.be/jCpnXkgf6xY?t=40
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Sir-diealot

Quote from: SoIncallcollector on February 06, 2019, 08:31:06 PM
This is a great thread. Tons of good info from alot of people way smarter about using a striker than me! I'd be interested like you were in the original post to hear about striker grain pattern and how it plays a role. Thanks for any feedback.

When I am using a striker that I can see the grain on I find that they sound better against the grain. Like if grain is up and down as you hold it go side to side, not up and down.

John Koenig:

SoIncallcollector

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 06, 2019, 09:47:38 PM

When I am using a striker that I can see the grain on I find that they sound better against the grain. Like if grain is up and down as you hold it go side to side, not up and down.
I've been messing around with it lately and trying to be more consistent with holding the striker the same every time with grain pattern the same. You dont hear alot of people talk about that part so I appreciate the response and I'll be working on that. I'm glad you asked that question. I've never thought of it and how it could effect the sound. Thanks.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: SoIncallcollector on February 06, 2019, 09:54:22 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 06, 2019, 09:47:38 PM

I've been messing around with it lately and trying to be more consistent with holding the striker the same every time with grain pattern the same. You dont hear alot of people talk about that part so I appreciate the response and I'll be working on that. I'm glad you asked that question. I've never thought of it and how it could effect the sound. Thanks.

You're welcome, ask anybody that knows me will tell you, I think weird anyway.

John Koenig:

SoIncallcollector

Hey if thinking about striker grain patterns is weird then I dont wanna be normal

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

fallhnt

....like a BOSS

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy