OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you hold your striker?

Started by Sir-diealot, August 03, 2018, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on August 25, 2018, 10:28:03 PM
In 22 years of turkey hunting I've never thought about this.... I guess like I hold a pen when I write?
I hold it the same, but after reading here and watching some video's I am going to try to switch up, or at least add to the way I hold it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeytider on August 24, 2018, 10:06:52 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 24, 2018, 04:01:50 PM
I had not been able to hunt for 17 years because of a car accident and just got back into it 2 years ago so to be honest I am probably not the best person to be directing you. As I understand it crystals work quite well but me myself if I were to go looking for anything to play in wet weather I would get something plastic or acrylic or something like that that would not be affected like wood would. You might want to start a thread asking about it. I have yet to get aluminum, copper or stainless surfaces, copper interesting me the most of the 3 for some reason.

Oh yeah, wouldn't get a wooden pot for wet weather. I believe Enticer wet calls are made of composites that can stand water. They sound good in the videos.
I will have to go watch some videos after I wake up, will be heading to bed soon.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

NCL

I never really paid that much attention to how I held the striker and used to think more about how the pot was held. Since reading this thread and studying the suggestions I have been trying the different suggested ways. Holding the index finger straight does allow the caller more control with the thumb but does take some practice to get used too. 

wvmntnhick

Quote from: vt35mag on August 04, 2018, 09:00:58 AM
Like this. Index finger is basically just resting on the striker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
You're using the wrong hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on August 26, 2018, 09:00:02 AM
I never really paid that much attention to how I held the striker and used to think more about how the pot was held. Since reading this thread and studying the suggestions I have been trying the different suggested ways. Holding the index finger straight does allow the caller more control with the thumb but does take some practice to get used too.
I agree completely.

John Koenig:

Turkeytider

Quote from: Turkeytider on August 22, 2018, 03:18:09 PM
Lots better!! It`s the angle of the striker. Improper angle. I`m getting a pretty good yelp and am working on the other basics. Want to get at least decent so I can get something for wet weather, Enticer most likely. About decided the " waterproof " boxes really aren`t so much.

Decided on an Enticer Silver Thunder Extreme Aluminum with a carbon tip striker. Watched Al`s video where he got it wet and it played just fine. Also liked the soft sounds you can get from the back of the call as well. Al was very responsive, good customer service.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeytider on August 26, 2018, 07:05:58 PM
Lots better!! It`s the angle of the striker. Improper angle. I`m getting a pretty good yelp and am working on the other basics. Want to get at least decent so I can get something for wet weather, Enticer most likely. About decided the " waterproof " boxes really aren`t so much.

Decided on an Enticer Silver Thunder Extreme Aluminum with a carbon tip striker. Watched Al`s video where he got it wet and it played just fine. Also liked the soft sounds you can get from the back of the call as well. Al was very responsive, good customer service.
Just came from his website, nice sounding calls. If they are that good in person you will be happy.

John Koenig:

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 26, 2018, 07:43:26 PM

Just came from his website, nice sounding calls. If they are that good in person you will be happy.

Well, also went there due to some posts on here as well as the video.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeytider on August 26, 2018, 09:23:11 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 26, 2018, 07:43:26 PM

Well, also went there due to some posts on here as well as the video.
If the guys here suggest it then I would give it very serious consideration, they really know their stuff and have helped me immensely.

John Koenig:

vt35mag

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 26, 2018, 02:32:32 PM
Quote from: vt35mag on August 04, 2018, 09:00:58 AM
Like this. Index finger is basically just resting on the striker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
You're using the wrong hand.

Man, why didn't someone tell me before!!! Haha

Sir-diealot

With the season coming around again in a couple of months and seeing many people posting I thought I would bump this again since it seemed to be so interesting to so many.

John Koenig:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: misfire on August 03, 2018, 04:56:12 PM
Like a pencil, but with the index finger extended. This allows me to exert pressure with my thumb on the striker which can change the pitch of the call.
This!!!^^^

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 03, 2019, 05:16:52 PM
With the season coming around again in a couple of months and seeing many people posting I thought I would bump this again since it seemed to be so interesting to so many.

You stick with the suggestions that we gave you? If so , hows it coming along
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

It would be hard I think for many to hold it as they hold a pen. I'm sure there's a modification here. A pen and a striker are held at dif angles. On my hand the thumb is higher than pointer. When I yelp my pointer finger flys loose. Upon purring my hand placement is higher for more vibration in striker. On cutting or clucking the middle finger is used on striker for brakes.
Yelping

Bowguy

Purring a little exaggerated for emphasis