turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you hold your striker?

Started by Sir-diealot, August 03, 2018, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

Like this. Index finger is basically just resting on the striker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Just like the pic except i dont run my index finger straight down the shaft. I let my index finger relax and kind of point out off the striker. The striker shaft lays lightly against my index finger just for more control. I change pitch by the amount of pressure applied with my thumb pushing into my middle finger. Basically running the striker with 2 fingers and using my others for more control.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Quote from: shatcher on August 04, 2018, 08:04:52 AM
What spitting and drumming said.  Will Primos has an excellent youtube out there on how to do it.  Use your thumb to press the striker against the first knuckle of your middle finger.  The striker will rest behind the last knuckle of your index finger.
Thanks, I will go to find it and seeing it should help, hearing it explained it does not quite make sense to me, but I can be a tad dense. Edit: Here is the video in case anybody else is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKINsMYv4Sk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vt35mag on August 04, 2018, 09:00:58 AM

Ah okay, very similar to how I was holding it, but trying the way you have pictured seems to offer a bit more control with the striker. Here are three pics of how I have been holding it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 04, 2018, 05:21:14 PM

Ah okay, very similar to how I was holding it, but trying the way you have pictured seems to offer a bit more control with the striker. Here are three pics of how I have been holding it.
Are you holding the striker away from you or back to you ?

vt35mag

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 04, 2018, 07:33:41 PM

I only have the striker angled the way I do in the pic, to best show how it is positioned in my hand.
Typically when I am playing the call the top of the striker is angled away from me.

Spitten and drummen

Take the index finger off of it and let it relax. Just use the part in front of the knuckle for it to rest against and curl your middle finger in towards palm. Use the thumb to push shaft into middle finger. The harder you push with thumb , the higher the pitch will get. Takes a little getting use to. Just giving you something else to try. I like this method over the pencil hold. Been using this grip 10 years. Try it and let us know what you think
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 04, 2018, 07:33:41 PM

To me (Bottom part with top away) as I call and doing my calls in a counter clockwise motion. Just to be sure I am answering you correctly I have my GF take 3 pics so you can see how I am doing it in case I misunderstood your question.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on August 04, 2018, 08:58:50 PM
Take the index finger off of it and let it relax. Just use the part in front of the knuckle for it to rest against and curl your middle finger in towards palm. Use the thumb to push shaft into middle finger. The harder you push with thumb , the higher the pitch will get. Takes a little getting use to. Just giving you something else to try. I like this method over the pencil hold. Been using this grip 10 years. Try it and let us know what you think
It does feel like this is much more control, but as you said it will take some getting used to as now if feels very odd. Thank you for the advise.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vt35mag on August 04, 2018, 09:24:20 PM
Try a clockwise motion. That way the striker is being pushed into your index and and middle finger, as you draw it across the surface of the call. Maybe easier for you to run it without feeling the need to put your index finger to work.
Sometimes it depends on the style of striker I am using, but if my index finger is on the striker at all. It is just resting on it, and applying zero pressure.

I will try to tomorrow, getting later in the evening here and the landlord live right underneath me.

John Koenig:

vt35mag

Wait, you're right handed, so you are running it right by going counter.
Sorry, I'm left handed so my suggestion is wrong for most people. Haha

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vt35mag on August 04, 2018, 09:33:30 PM
Wait, you're right handed, so you are running it right by going counter.
Sorry, I'm left handed so my suggestion is wrong for most people. Haha

Yes right handed for everything but shooting pool and fighting.

John Koenig:

Spitten and drummen

Another thing i will add on the way you are holding the pot. It looks like you have it almost sitting in your palm. Extend it upwards and try to hold it gently with your fingers. You can even change the sound by holding it on finger tips , on the lines where yor second digit meets the first digit and even slightly lower always using your palm as the sound chamber. You can add pressure to the sides of the pot to change pitch. I just added this stuff. You probably already know all this but this may be helpful to some.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on August 05, 2018, 10:54:06 AM
Another thing i will add on the way you are holding the pot. It looks like you have it almost sitting in your palm. Extend it upwards and try to hold it gently with your fingers. You can even change the sound by holding it on finger tips , on the lines where yor second digit meets the first digit and even slightly lower always using your palm as the sound chamber. You can add pressure to the sides of the pot to change pitch. I just added this stuff. You probably already know all this but this may be helpful to some.

I will try that for sure. I don't normally hold it quite like that but I was trying to get a little lower with the call so my GF could get the picture as she is shorter than I am. That room had the best light in the house at that time or the picture would have been taken sitting. Thanks again.

John Koenig:

bbcoach

I hold it like a pencil with the index finger down the shaft and the middle finger on the underside of the shaft for support.  Tilt the handle away from my body at about a 10 to 15 degree angle and make elongated circular O's for the yelp.  The cut or cluck is just short quick downward movement with good pressure from my index finger.  And the purr is light pressure in a half circle motion.  My index finger and thumb does most of the motions and the pressure is controlled by the index finger for loud or soft sounds.