turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Range Finders ?

Started by Turkeytider, July 12, 2018, 02:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Does anyone use them? Are they worth the money? Obviously, I know that you wouldn`t be ranging turkeys, but landmarks to use for reference. Thanks in advance everybody.

bruce.smith0817

Yes use them for vdeer an turkeys very handy an not that big now if you bow you need one I range trees an then I know when to take the I never try to range amiail or bird

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

davisd9

I carry one, use it mostly when I set up on a field I expect a turkey to fly down to.  Also handy in open woods.  I am pretty decent at ranging by sight but never bad to make sure.  It weighs virtually nothing to carry.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jbird22

For bowhunting deer, I wouldn't hunt without one. For turkeys, I would take one if I hunted fields or other open spaces with any regularity. It's a very valuable piece of equipment IMO.

Kylongspur88

I've used a cheapo Simmons range finder for the past 10 years. It works great for ranging landmarks when you set up.

TauntoHawk

On every hunt for everything just like binos. I've used nikon, vortex and sig sauger and the sig was by far the best

It was the fastest, most accurate, smallest to fit in any pocket, extremely clear view

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Brian Fahs

My leica crf 900 is always on my chest harness right beside my swarovski binoculars.

If I'm in the woods I'm packing my optics. Great hunting tool.

chadly

Quote from: Jbird22 on July 12, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
For bowhunting deer, I wouldn't hunt without one. For turkeys, I would take one if I hunted fields or other open spaces with any regularity. It's a very valuable piece of equipment IMO.
Deer bow always.  Turkeys never.  Bow point of aim and hit change so much the range finder is a must.  Turkeys with a gun I hit them where I aim.  No long shots for me so it would just be another something I dont need to carry. 

Happy

I often carry one bowhunting but it's just to verify the ranges that i estimate as soon as I get in the tree. I hunt woods 99 percent of the time and I can count on one hand the amount of deer I have shot over 30 yards. I can see them being more of a necessity hunting fields. For turkeys I don't carry one. It's easy enough to get a pretty close estimate to 40 yards.  I use a leupold and like it well enough just don't feel I have to have it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

I tried one for the first time this spring and after a couple of times , i really didn't see the need to carry it.... Deer yes... turkey no... my suggestion is get you a good pair of waterproof binoculars .....

Rapscallion Vermilion

I like to carry one. Mine is a Nikon Prostaff 550.  As said above, it doesn't weigh anything, and the 6x monocular has proven to be very useful in lieu of carrying binoculars.  I'll range several trees when I set up.  I think I'm pretty decent at judging ranges, but like to test myself, and still every year find myself in situations when I'm fooled, especially when the cover is more open or uphill or downhill slopes are present.

davisd9

Had a friend that lost a bird where we both would have swore he was in range. When we walked it we were both amazed at how far it was. We even took turns in the shooting and standing spot and could not believe it stepped off as far as it did, sometimes your eyes can be fooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WiLL B

My Leica 900 stays in my hunting shirt pocket all season. I'm good at guessing because I shoot some measurements pretty often.

land cruiser

I honestly thought this was a thread resurrected from 1993.

Turkeytider

Thanks everybody. Looks like a pretty mixed bag of users and not. There`s seemingly no end to the toys and ways to spend money, is there  ;)?!