turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Paul Platz?

Started by Wvgobbler, July 03, 2018, 04:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jryser

Killed all my turkeys with my green slate this year!!  Lon is for sure awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wvgobbler

Thanks for the good comments everybody. I agree with what a lot of you say about awards don't kill turkeys. To be honest it really isn't the turkey call it's the man running the turkey call. When I first started turkey hunting all I had was an old lynch 12 hole my grandfather give me and a primos slate call and I never had a problem calling in turkeys. I've got about 200 custom calls now maybe more and always wondered why people are paying more for a Platz pot than say a Lamar Williams or Steve Mann box call. I don't have a problem at all with someone paying that much for one. Heck I paid 1500 on a Niel Cost box a couple years ago. I just think someone like Lonzo is making an as good of pot as him if not better in my opinion. I can honestly say I get more response from birds with Lonzo's and call more in with his calls than I do my Paul Platz. And I hunt both a lot. I do appreciate all of you chiming in though to enlight me.

NeverRoosting

Quote from: Wvgobbler on July 03, 2018, 11:44:36 PM
Thanks for the good comments everybody. I agree with what a lot of you say about awards don't kill turkeys. To be honest it really isn't the turkey call it's the man running the turkey call. When I first started turkey hunting all I had was an old lynch 12 hole my grandfather give me and a primos slate call and I never had a problem calling in turkeys. I've got about 200 custom calls now maybe more and always wondered why people are paying more for a Platz pot than say a Lamar Williams or Steve Mann box call. I don't have a problem at all with someone paying that much for one. Heck I paid 1500 on a Niel Cost box a couple years ago. I just think someone like Lonzo is making an as good of pot as him if not better in my opinion. I can honestly say I get more response from birds with Lonzo's and call more in with his calls than I do my Paul Platz. And I hunt both a lot. I do appreciate all of you chiming in though to enlight me.

Steve Mann...really???

Spitten and drummen

Just because a well known call maker makes a call , does not mean its a great call. Not every call that comes out of a call makers shop is created equal. I have ran several calls on a callmakers table that you could not give me. Will they kill birds? Certainly , but only if you have the confidence to hunt them. I have found some jewels off a table and some dudes also. Just my opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Roost 1

I've said for years, Lon's calls are hard to beat in the turkey woods. I have platz and Corders but when I reach in the vest I pull out a Trice.

1iagobblergetter

You can get wherever you want to go in a Geo metro,but if you have the money nothing wrong with cruising in a Cadillac.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on July 04, 2018, 12:39:50 PM
You can get wherever you want to go in a Geo metro,but if you have the money nothing wrong with cruising in a Cadillac.

:TooFunny:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

jed clampett

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on July 04, 2018, 08:54:40 AM
Just because a well known call maker makes a call , does not mean its a great call. Not every call that comes out of a call makers shop is created equal. I have ran several calls on a callmakers table that you could not give me. Will they kill birds? Certainly , but only if you have the confidence to hunt them. I have found some jewels off a table and some dudes also. Just my opinion.
this is a very true statement!!

ridgerunner

I have a truck load of pot calls I've collected for 25 years. Personally, Paul Platz slate is the best slate call ran. Still trying to get my hands on a Corder, but of the slate calls I've played, Paul's is far and above any other I have from other Callmakers. Then again, sound is an individual thing, to each persons ear. More than sound to me, a great call must play with ease. If I have to work at a call to get a good sound, I don't like it. I have many " good sounding calls" , but the playability is not there..so to me personally, it's not great.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: ridgerunner on July 05, 2018, 10:44:38 AM
I have a truck load of pot calls I've collected for 25 years. Personally, Paul Platz slate is the best slate call ran. Still trying to get my hands on a Corder, but of the slate calls I've played, Paul's is far and above any other I have from other Callmakers. Then again, sound is an individual thing, to each persons ear. More than sound to me, a great call must play with ease. If I have to work at a call to get a good sound, I don't like it. I have many " good sounding calls" , but the playability is not there..so to me personally, it's not great.
I think that's my biggest thing. If a call isn't easy to run I dont' like it. Every call maker has great and sub-par calls. Lon once told me he may cut a piece of wood and make 10 calls. He said out of those 10, one will not sound right no matter what, one of those might be off the charts and sound awesome, and the others will be pretty good. I'm sure this is the case for most call makers. I really do enjoy talking to Lon and other call makers, they are full of knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ridgerunner

That's true. Some pieces of wood make awesome calls. Some get tossed. I've thrown away many of my own calls I've built, for the mere fact the don't run easy. Should take very little effort to make a slate or any other pot call sing imo...if not, it's just an average call. Play ability, tone, craftsmanship all count towards a great call. Platz calls i have and ran, has it all, but you can kill a turkey with a piece of creek slate and a rusty nail if the birds are right. So i guess, to each his own. Some people drive a Chevy, some people drive a BMW.