North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you cross a property line???

Started by wareagle99, February 11, 2011, 04:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you cross a property line to hunt a turkey?

Never
Under Certain Conditions
Yes I would
I plead the 5th

wareagle99

To the 76% or so of you who answered in one form or another that you would cross the line(i counted plead the 5ths in that figure)....thank you for your honesty, for the ones who read the thread but didn't post.....your silence speaks volumes...thank you too for your honesty, for those of you who said never...............

They are all God's turkeys after all   ;D

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

lohaus

I know my friend would and does. . . .I don't want to be 'that guy' though.

OldMarine

Never     - 17 (25.4%)
Under Certain Conditions    - 22 (32.8%)   
Yes I would    - 8 (11.9%)
I plead the 5th    - 20 (29.9%)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

32.8  Certain conditions ( Turkey Gobbling and you haven't heard one in a week )
11.9  Yes I would
29.9  I plead the 5th
--------------
73.6% of the OldGobbler folks are honorable people !
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

chatterbox

In NH, you don't need to worry about crossing property lines unless there is a clearly posted sign indicating you can't.
I have crossed many different boundry markers, never knowing whos land I was actually on.
Now, like one OP said, if it meant trespass, never. I'll go find another bird.

catdaddy

Quote from: OldMarine on February 12, 2011, 01:13:49 AM
Never     - 17 (25.4%)
Under Certain Conditions    - 22 (32.8%)   
Yes I would    - 8 (11.9%)
I plead the 5th    - 20 (29.9%)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

32.8  Certain conditions ( Turkey Gobbling and you haven't heard one in a week )
11.9  Yes I would
29.9  I plead the 5th
--------------
73.6% of the OldGobbler folks are honorable people !

It took me a second to get the gist of your equation---an excellent deduction.

Cove

I always thought there was a 40 yard or so buffer. . . . . .  ::)

I told those Hevi13's as they were leaving," I cant really tell which side of the line he's on so if you get to the property line stop. Dont go any farther." They're terrible listeners. .  . . .  :smiley-char092:

Jbird22

If the land was clearly posted, not likely. But, if the land was not posted and I knew no one else hunted it I probably would.

Turkeydan

In the area of NY the lands I have permission to hunt on often have property next door that is vacant. There is a lot of land ownership by investors and other types of speculators. Many times the land is not posted. In NY if land is not posted by the actual owner it is not against the law to hunt on it. Obviously common sense should be used.

tgs

Maine is just one big state, no property lines... :you_rock:

Just kidding, there's enough "non-posted" land to even consider trepassing.  If it's not posted...it's huntable  :z-loveshower:
Pass the Tradition Along

maustypsu

Only to retrieve a wounded animal.  I've done that one time and would do it again.

But I would never hunt someone's property without permission - too much respect for property rights since I'm a capitalist.

keyser12ga

Last year I had hunted hard several days in the rain to have a gobbler gobbling all day long each day on the other side of this creek walking around in an open field.  I wanted that map to extend past the creek so bad.  Bird never would cross the creek.  I called the landowner and it was in a trust that didn't allow hunting which was frustrating.  I was half tempted to offer to buy the land as it sat unused.

The same piece of land has a property line in the middle of the woods that isn't marked and I can't for the life of me figure where the land ends.  I was tempted to buy a gps and try to get coordinates for the land so I could have some marker to go to, but for now I just play it safe.

swamp_bird89

GobbleNut

There are so many variables to this question that it is hard to provide a single yes/no answer. 

I will never cross a boundary line if it is posted properly, nor will I shoot at game that might be along the edge of that property.  On the other hand, I expect landowners that want people to stay off of their property to make the effort to delineate their property boundaries and put proper signage up, especially when the property is way out in the middle of nowhere and there are no improvements on it or any indication that the owners have a reason to keep people off. 

I hunt areas that are a mixture of public and private lands and on numerous occasions, I have had private landowners try to run me off of public property adjacent to their lands.  Almost always, this has been a case of them not marking their property boundaries so that they could try to claim I was on their property when I knew I was not.

I have even had to go so far as to call the authorities to get them to address the problem for me.   

The point here is that this topic is a double-edged sword.  Hunters and landowners have personal responsibilities regarding trespass.  If a landowner wants me to stay off of his land, he darn sure better make the effort to let me know where the boundaries are and that he doesn't want me there.  If he does that, I will respectfully stay off of it.

ncturkey

In the states I hunt you must have permission to hunt someone's property. I gain permission before I go over the property line. Some county's you have to have written permission to hunt. I like to get written permission for ever place I hunt. That just makes it easer when confronting trepessers. Has for get game from someone else land I would get permission. If it is not given I call the game warden. They can get me the permission I need. I have call turkey over to my side of the woods before. Lucky I have not had them flop back to the others side. But if I ever do I will still get permission to get the bird. Most folks around where I hunt know me and will give me persimmion to get downed game on there land but no hunting allowed. Get permission first is the best thing in my mind.