turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fall weight Gobblers

Started by rooster, June 27, 2018, 06:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Anyone know how fall weights stack up against spring weights? Common sense says they would be heavier in the fall but so little info is available compaired to spring.Also,it makes sense that the ealier in the spring season the heavier,before they are run to death.

falltoms

The gobblers in my area run about the same weight or sometimes less on average, as they do in the spring. You won't find the breast sponge (the fat reserves) on an adult gobbler in the fall like you would in the spring.

bowmaster5687

Seem to be roughly the same. Usually 20 - 23 in the fall around here. Whereas the normal spring weights are mid 17's-21,22 on average here. SW PA

Kylongspur88

Same to a little less here. I read somewhere gobblers pack on pounds in the spring like a deer does for the rut but I honestly haven't noticed a big difference in birds here.

Uncle Nicky

I haven't killed many fall gobblers, but common sense would say they are eating better, less pressured, and bulking up for winter (in the colder states). I once shot a mature spring gobbler that weighed 13#, I can only imagine what he had gone through. :z-flirtysmile3: :z-flirtysmile3: :z-flirtysmile3:

nyturkeyduster

Quote from: falltoms on June 27, 2018, 08:30:55 PM
The gobblers in my area run about the same weight or sometimes less on average, as they do in the spring. You won't find the breast sponge (the fat reserves) on an adult gobbler in the fall like you would in the spring.

I've noticed the same. Typically a mature gobbler will be 16-18 lbs in the fall where he could up up to 20lbs. or more in my area during the spring if he's not much of a traveler.