OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poults

Started by bossgobbler, June 27, 2018, 12:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAGobbler87

I've seen 4 hens with 8-10 poults a piece in the past couple day. They're just little ones still, I hope all this rain/flooding we've had lately doesn't effect them too much!

bossgobbler

Today I saw two hens with 13 poults between the two of them. I also saw a hen with 2 poults. These sightings were at our house where I can see them fairly often. They're mostly moving between our yard and through a clover plot.

Yesterday I saw a hen with at least 8 poults on a farm I hunt. As I was mowing their lawn I came around a corner and saw her and the poults standing in an old logging road. These ones were at least a month old and very healthy looking.

Early this week we had the two hardest heaviest rains I can ever remember around here. We had already had many days of hard rains and then Tuesday and Wednesday we had downpours like I've never seen. We got 2" of rain in an hour on Tuesday evening and another 1.75" in an hour on Wednesday evening. Fortunately my fears didn't come true. I thought for sure it was going to be hard on the smallest poults here at home but today they were doing great.

That's today's report. Keep the updates coming in. Everyone have a safe enjoyable weekend!

NCL

While on my walk yesterday I saw my first poults of the year, there were five that I saw and mommy hen. There were about the size of a mature quail

shatcher

I watched 5 hens picking in the yard for about 30 minutes here in Middle TN.  Not a poult in sight.

Turkeytider

I suppose that if you see any at all, that would mean that there are others about. Of course, have to be in precisely the right place at exactly the right time.

Bolandstrutters

I've been seeing a single hen with five poults the past few mornings.  East central Missouri.  Usually don't see many around here because the vegetation and crops are too tall by now.  Hoping we had a good hatch.  It remained fairly dry until Mid/late June when we had some major wash outs. 

bossgobbler

A quick update from Ohio. Here on our property I've seen 41 different poults that I know of. Unfortunately I have seen a flock of Cooper's hawks move in. I don't know if it's considered a flock but we have many of them. Of the 40 poults 25 have disappeared quickly. I've neber seen anything like it. On a Friday afternoon two hens had 14 poults. By Monday morning they had 3. One hen recently showed up with 7 little ones. Last Sunday she had all 7 walking through our yard. By this last Friday all 7 are gone.

I used to think hawks got a few poults each year. I change my mind on that thought. The Cooper's hawks are incredible woods hunters. The hens with any poults left here are now walking around with their heads cocked sideways looking up with every step.

We have 3 hens holding onto 5 poults between them. There is one other solo hen that still has 2. One more hen just recently showed up on a trail camera and I got a video of her and 9-10 poults that are very very small. I would say a few days old.  I really hope she can protect them well.

It's really disheartening to have so many poults get taken out. I am a firm believer in trapping nest predators. In two years time we have trapped an enormous amount of coons and possums. It has helped tremendously. The hens are getting their nests to successfully hatch. Now I need to figure out how to help them past that point!

NCL

Yesterday I saw three hens with what looked like at least 11 poults that were slightly larger than a pheasant here in Nor Cal. There is also another hen that had 5 but is now down to 4 but they are about half the size of the ones I saw yesterday

eggshell

I had only seen one hen with poults and could not get a count. Then yesterday I saw two and still gign't get a solid count, but I am guessing around 10 total. A buddy said he saw two more broods with a total of 14. They are all sizes from 1/3 grown to pigeon size. I am in South central Ohio.

I also thought the heavy rains would be hard on them, but it looks like they done well.  If I knew the hawks were getting that many chicks I would be very temped to help them find a new home away from my farm.....like hawk heaven. I have always been adamantly against shooting hawks, but to know they had picked off a couple dozen chicks, I'd be reconsidering my feelings.   

Jim K

The few poults we had early are disappearing. It is discouraging. This is southern PA.

NCL

Yesterday while going to town I noticed a bunch of birds up ahead in the road. At first I thought they were buzzards eating a road kill. As I got closer I could see  they were young turkeys, probably 15. Three of them stayed in the road and I had to come to a complete stop and honk my horn to get them to move. One of the ones in the road was trying to fan his/her tail. Not sure if they were still considered poults as they were probably over half grown

shatcher

I heard hawks can die from lead poisoning.  Probably just a rumor.

spurman

Sad here in west KY, only seeing a few hens and no poults. I did see 8 hens yesterday in a open field but no young.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Dr Juice

Quote from: spurman on July 26, 2018, 08:52:38 AM
Sad here in west KY, only seeing a few hens and no poults. I did see 8 hens yesterday in a open field but no young.
Experiencing the same in southern NY. I guess I will find out if it can any worst than last Spring's encounters.

shatcher

Few to no poults in Middle TN.