OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poults

Started by bossgobbler, June 27, 2018, 12:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bossgobbler

Good afternoon everyone. I always get excited this time of year to see and hear about others seeing poults. How are the sightings lately? Good hatch? Healthy poults?

turkeymanjim

Didn't see any young birds in my neck of the woods. I hear other people saying the same thing in my area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I havent seen the first ones yet.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

HookedonHooks

I've seen a group of four with mom hen crossing the road near my house, they were already real good sized poults. Right in that legs looking goofily large for their body phase. This was in Eastern KS.

bossgobbler

I have seen a pretty good amount so far this summer. It's amazing to me that I've seen any around here. We have gotten some pretty hard heavy rains the past month or so. Yesterday was the hardest rain I've ever seen around here. We live in SE Ohio

. As I drove down my washed out driveway amidst the heavy downpours I saw a hen hovered over her poults. She's a real trooper. I saw 3 hens with a total of 16 poults yesterday afternoon strolling around our yard and foodplots. There is a hen with 2 poults, one with 5, and one with 9.

I enjoy watching poults feel safe and grow around here. I was fearing that I may not see them after the floods yesterday. Well, this morning I saw a nice clutch of them with the same three hens I'm assuming. Couldn't get an accurate count because they're so small and the clover covers them pretty well but I know I counted at least 12 today.

All of these poults I've been seeing here at home are pretty small. I'm estimating them all to be between 1-2 weeks old. I have seen some others in the area that are much older. A few friends have showed me some videos of poults in their yards and farms that are probably 1 month old.

I still believe some hens are on nests around here. We had a major rain event in late May that washed away some nests and brought on some late season breeding and renesting. I anticipate some brand new little guys and gals soon.

I am always thankful to see poults! I was pretty worried about the rains and flooding around here. Fortunately, some have made it and seem to be doing quite well.

bbcoach

Been seeing poults since the 10th of May.  It was hard to believe we saw poults that early since our season didn't end till the 12th of May.  We've been seeing some more fur balls the last couple of weeks.  Several later hatches, even with all the rain we've had.  Hope they make it.  Eastern NC reporting. 

Spring Creek Calls

Saw 10-12 poults cross the road just a couple hours ago. Second bunch I've seen the last week. This is the time for poults to start showing up here in SW Michigan.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

ncturkey

I have not been out looking a lot.
But I have seen one Grey Phase Hen with 5 poults in a Field near where I would work.

shatcher

I think it's bad here in Tennessee.  Seeing hens together and no poults.  A lot of rain here in May.

Tail Feathers

I haven't seen any when checking in person but I have a game cam pic or two of a hen and "poult".  If the hen is 15 lbs that poult is 10 lbs already.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Spitten and drummen

Hope to see some soon!
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

countryboy3006

I haven't seen any in northern Kentucky.  I have seen several hens walking with no little ones which has me worried about next year.

zelmo1

Size of bantam hens here in NH. Seeing them all over now.  :funnyturkey:

NCL

I have been looking but have not seen any poults this year. In past years there are usually a few groups around. Yesterday on my way in to town I mentioned to my wife that all the turkeys that we were seeing a month ago have disappeared. May be on account of the hotter weather.

ferocious calls

Hatched 123 Easterns this spring. 115 made it to fight training and beyond. They are growing like weeds on 24% protein.

Have not seen any wild poults yet, but have seen a hen I suspect had some in the grass by the way she acted.