turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lynch Miss Polly

Started by Wvgobbler, June 21, 2018, 05:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wvgobbler

Just seen one of these calls sell on eBay for over 10,000 dollors. Wow!!!

KentuckyHeadhunter

$10,300 with 41 bids.  It was in new condition! And there are guys out there above and beyond what some of us even realize in the world of turkey calls.  Thanks for bringing this topic up.  This is proof that turkey calls and call collecting isn't dead.  And I bet that call doesn't sound that great.  Just saying.  Congrats to the lucky winner.  Great pickup on a rare call.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Yoder409

Watched the last couple minutes of that auction.........

$4050............. $8100......... $10300.........

Good Lord !!!    Someone REALLY went all in on that one.   Outta MY league.    WAAAAAAY outta my league !!!!

:z-dizzy:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

If the dude had had better feedback meaning more than 44 I bet it would have gone much higher.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 21, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
If the dude had had better feedback meaning more than 44 I bet it would have gone much higher.

Possibly but I doubt it.  I guarantee the high bidders contacted him before the end of auction to " verify and clarify" a few things.  It looks legit and every so often it happens with eBay. 
I once bought an "artifact" on eBay for $300 and three years later sold it for $15k.  It later sold for $24k through a gallery in Paris.  Now it's in a museum.  EBay can be great be careful. 
I hope it doesn't get lost in the mail.

Yoder409

Dunno......

VERY rare call.  I believe there were only ever 50 of them made.  They were also, apparently, a fairly fragile call, as well.  So of the original 50...........who knows ??  Not many left, for sure.

But $10300 rare ??????

Yow !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 21, 2018, 08:02:42 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 21, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
Oh not saying it is not legit, just I know most people are kinda weary of sellers with a low amount of feedback. I know I am.

Possibly but I doubt it.  I guarantee the high bidders contacted him before the end of auction to " verify and clarify" a few things.  It looks legit and every so often it happens with eBay. 
I once bought an "artifact" on eBay for $300 and three years later sold it for $15k.  It later sold for $24k through a gallery in Paris.  Now it's in a museum.  EBay can be great be careful. 
I hope it doesn't get lost in the mail.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

KentuckyHeadhunter

Very few remain in existence and this one was mint condition.  Only a handful are accounted for.  True only 50 were made and they were very fragile "smallish" calls. This one may have also had provenance that we don't know about.  I think it's fascinating to see this stuff! 

crenshawco

So what is the history on this call for those of us not in the know?

Gobbler2577

I'll do my best to answer about the history.  When Lynch was in Liberty, MS they became friends with the Anderson family.  They owned a large block of land that was stocked with turkeys from Pennsylvania I believe.  Anyway, the Anderson's had a little girl named Polly and that call was built for her.  I've handled one in my life and was not impressed, but it is a rare call.  The one I was able to see went for 6500 bucks about 10 years ago.  If you have heard of the book Tall Timber Gabriels there is a portion of that book about the Andersons and the place called Longleaf.  I hunted there back in '07 when they asked me to build 20 box calls to auction for a scholarship fund they have at Mississippi State.  Really nice place with a lot of turkey hunting history.  Ben Lee used to hunt there with him and sell calls out of the trunk of his car.  A lot of the old timers there won't hunt with anything else than old Lynch boxes and let me tell you, they don't sound like any store bought Lynch.  If one was really good it got put into a box with other really good ones and you had to know somebody to get one of them.  I hunted with Miss Polly one afternoon and she knew what to do with a box call. 

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

KentuckyHeadhunter

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.  Now there's a set of three Gibson's that just went up on eBay starting at $6k.  That will be a good one to watch also.

nitro

Gobbler 2577's story is similar to what I heard about the "Miss Polly" calls. Miss Polly Anderson of Gloster, MS who later worked for Mike Lynch- He made less than 50 of the one sided boxes, similar to the Fool Proof, just smaller in size.

Very few remain evidently.. Last I heard, Miss Polly is still alive and is 90 some years old. I will try to verify.
Royal Slam 2008

nitro

Bill Henkel of course has one in his possession and there was at least one in Earl Mickel's collection. Super rare indeed.
Royal Slam 2008

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

1tiogabowhunter

Thanks for sharing the history of the call.  I was watching the auction and the last few hours was crazy.  Will be interesting to see what those gibsons will do ..