turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti Project

Started by crenshawco, June 21, 2018, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuppednlocked

Quote from: Cove on August 14, 2018, 10:23:55 AMThanks guys! I'd have paid someone a fine sum to walk back in there after that gun.

I was hoping to see the reaction on video when you realized the gun wasn't with you.  I'm betting the vocabulary wasn't fit to publish.

jryser

Quote from: cuppednlocked on August 14, 2018, 06:06:28 PM
Quote from: Cove on August 14, 2018, 10:23:55 AMThanks guys! I'd have paid someone a fine sum to walk back in there after that gun.

I was hoping to see the reaction on video when you realized the gun wasn't with you.  I'm betting the vocabulary wasn't fit to publish.
That's why this emoji was made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Dave the corn in the birds, could it be from private land where a non hunter is feeding wildlife? I heard a dog barking early that morning don't know if there are homes or cabins near enough. I also don't know how long it takes corn to process through a turkeys crop

We see that all the time where local non hunters try and keep the animals safe by feeding through the season.

I love the week day hunts, very relateable to where I drive 35min, walk 50min to hunt an hour and a half on public before the 50min walk out and a 60min drive to work I had mornings of rain and fog where birds were still on the roost when it was time to leave the woods.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cove

Quote from: TauntoHawk on August 15, 2018, 09:21:49 AM
Dave the corn in the birds, could it be from private land where a non hunter is feeding wildlife? I heard a dog barking early that morning don't know if there are homes or cabins near enough. I also don't know how long it takes corn to process through a turkeys crop

We see that all the time where local non hunters try and keep the animals safe by feeding through the season.

They don't make many non- hunters  in this neck of the woods. There is a small piece of private tucked into this stretch of NF and I'm assuming that's where the feed came from. I've never heard "life" from that little piece until this day when the dogs started barking. I did several years back bump into a gentleman who used that piece as access to the NF. You can rest assured, the corn in the crops of those gobblers was put there for one purpose- and I'm just glad they didn't get the satisfaction, at least with that one.

PALongspur

I've got to say that it's totally refreshing to see how truly thankful and humble you are after a kill. Seeing that reverence means alot to me. My post-kill ritual is usually pretty similar. After that initial flood of adrenaline levels out, there's nothing like sitting next to him and smoking a cigar (or a fresh dip). As I heard you put it, "spending a little time with him". Thanks for making it known that we are not all bloodthirsty and hell-bent on producing a dead turkey at the end of every day.

As far as the corn goes, I've noticed that here in the NE also. Usually by the time our seasons start, some farmers have got some early plantings in. I've always assumed that's where the corn came from. I guess that may not always be the case!

LaLongbeard

Just watched days 20-21 great footage of the gobbler on the limb and his reaction to the truck and horrible excuse for calling.
Gotta laugh sometimes at what passes for a hunter nowadays lol. What kinda moron hears a turkey gobble then cranks up the truck and moves it? Not to mention the guy that tried to walk around y'all in another video and flushed the gobbler plus the corn baiters. Maybe with any luck these nimrods will watch these videos and see how stupid they are and stop. If even one idiot is shamed into acting right it was well worth the effort.
Only thing that would have made it better is if y'all could have got video of the guy doing the drive by crow calling lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

WiLL B

Cove I think you might of let an old one with no beard slip by you. I know you could see him better than I could on the video though. But he had some old gobbler characteristics!

buzzardroost

I've been getting caught up on this rainy morning. Really enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greencop01

I just think these videos are spot on. I guess there are hunters and then there are TURKEY HUNTERS. Whether you get a bird or not its still an enjoyable day and hopefully you either know what you did wrong or you learn something. Thank you for the honesty and the respect you show for the birds and for letting showing your feelings on at the end of the hunt. I hope it doesn't end at 34!

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

FLGobstopper

Quote from: Cove on August 14, 2018, 10:23:55 AM
Thanks guys! I'd have paid someone a fine sum to walk back in there after that gun. As long as they weren't a turkey hunter of course.  :funnyturkey:

Quote from: Brian Fahs on August 13, 2018, 09:07:01 PM
Looking  a little tired and grouchy in today's video dave.

That is turkey hunting at its best.

It probably gets worse. Most people think it's the limited sleep, and a bit of it may be, but most of it is aggravation from having to clock into work and leave the woods early. I find my spirits climb a bit when I get to travel. It'll be coming in another week or so. . .

So I guess I missed it in the video. When exactly did you realize you had left your gun sitting by that tree and turn around to go back and get it?

I've left my old 12ga 870 original bottomland sitting next to a tree a couple times and 1x didn't think I'd ever find it and started freaking out a bit. Probably searched for 30 min until I remembered I'd set it down on the walk out to readjust a bird I was carrying and had walked right past it on the way back to the area I killed him in. That was a big feeling of relief when I saw that joker sitting there!

Fdept56

I'm pretty sure this is the best lunch break I've ever had!

Cove

Quote from: WiLL B on August 18, 2018, 12:52:19 AM
Cove I think you might of let an old one with no beard slip by you. I know you could see him better than I could on the video though. But he had some old gobbler characteristics!

Nope. Be was a bonifide jake, trust me, I tried my best to grow a beard on him.  :toothy9: You can tell he's a jake by his short/ narrow wing patch.

Cove

Quote from: FLGobstopper on August 20, 2018, 01:17:28 PM
Quote from: Cove on August 14, 2018, 10:23:55 AM
Thanks guys! I'd have paid someone a fine sum to walk back in there after that gun. As long as they weren't a turkey hunter of course.  :funnyturkey:

Quote from: Brian Fahs on August 13, 2018, 09:07:01 PM
Looking  a little tired and grouchy in today's video dave.

That is turkey hunting at its best.
It probably gets worse. Most people think it's the limited sleep, and a bit of it may be, but most of it is aggravation from having to clock into work and leave the woods early. I find my spirits climb a bit when I get to travel. It'll be coming in another week or so. . .

So I guess I missed it in the video. When exactly did you realize you had left your gun sitting by that tree and turn around to go back and get it?

I've left my old 12ga 870 original bottomland sitting next to a tree a couple times and 1x didn't think I'd ever find it and started freaking out a bit. Probably searched for 30 min until I remembered I'd set it down on the walk out to readjust a bird I was carrying and had walked right past it on the way back to the area I killed him in. That was a big feeling of relief when I saw that joker sitting there!

If you pay attention on my walk out, there is no gun on my shoulder.  >:( This was one of those times I recorded it on my phone for an instagram story and forgot to record it on my camera to use in this application. I get all mixed up sometimes.  :toothy9:

larry9988

I watched day 33 last night. The calling Dave did to the gobbler that just kept moving away was outstanding. When I listen to someone that can call like that, not be successful, it just makes me realize how hard it is for an average caller, or even a below average caller,  to turn a gobbler around when the gobbler has a destination to be  somewhere else in mind.  Being where he wants to be, or being where he wants to go is a big part of turkey hunting success. If that calling did not turn him around, nothing less than a visible live hen would have.

Cove

Quote from: larry9988 on August 21, 2018, 08:46:27 PM
I watched day 33 last night. The calling Dave did to the gobbler that just kept moving away was outstanding. When I listen to someone that can call like that, not be successful, it just makes me realize how hard it is for an average caller, or even a below average caller,  to turn a gobbler around when the gobbler has a destination to be  somewhere else in mind.  Being where he wants to be, or being where he wants to go is a big part of turkey hunting success. If that calling did not turn him around, nothing less than a visible live hen would have.

Gene Nunnery called them vagabond gobblers if I'm not mistaken. You're on their way from point A to point B or you listen to them gobble unsuccessfully. In this case, I believe this ole boy had his eyes on some female company he was following but sure wanted us to join.  :funnyturkey:

Day 34.35 is on it's way! We're spending time with a boss mtn turkey on these 2 days and he's doing what mtn turkeys do. Beat our rear ends!