News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti Project

Started by crenshawco, June 21, 2018, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolandstrutters

Quote from: uarobert on July 27, 2018, 12:28:46 PM
Oh, brother. That guy on day 17 was such a tool.
I know we all want to get our bird, but c'mon folks, a little Golden Rule helps all of us.

If I ever see someone in a spot I want to hunt, even if I beat them there. I want out, unless I know for sure that they leave the area without spooking every bird around for a mile.

I don't know those folks. I don't know what they're willing to do with a shotgun. I don't know how much they might do to booger up the area and the turkeys in it. I immediately want to book it to an area where I think I'm the only person around. That's just me. It obviously isn't how that dude thinks.

Otherwise, thanks for documenting it. Warts and all.

I wish(or maybe I don't) I could see Chubs's thought train works. Here I am waiting for him to say something profound about the next day's hunt and then... "A hamburger on a donut bun would be like dating a girl with a beard"

Haha I was thinking the same thing about Chubbs.  You can picture that imagination of his constantly racing in circles.  Definitely reminds me of some of my old hunting buddies. 

Cove

I just got Day 18 out there. It was a dandy gobbler!  :newmascot:

daddyduke

That was one fine bird!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Brian Fahs

Cove

Day 19 is up fellas! Sometimes it's pure determination that gets the job done.  :toothy9:

Brian Fahs

Now you guys are rolling.

Thanks for sharing Dave.

Flydown

Every show I feel like I'm sitting beside yall. Best turkey hunting videos ever produced! Cant wait for the next one!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cove

Thanks guys! The next one is a nail biter.  :toothy9:

MissLouHunter

Great stuff Dave, every morning I am checking for new videos.

Cove

I'll have a reWorked video looking back at Day 8 later today and Days 20 and 21 will be up tomorrow.

Brian Fahs

Just watched day 21 hunt.

You guys are lucky. Where I hunt public in the northeast that hunter would not have stopped till he was standing at the base of the tree that gobbler was rooted in.

When you think you have seen it all someone will always show you a new level of dumb.

I swear some days it's like someone set off a stupid bomb in the area....lol.

WiLL B

GobbleNut

The Day 20/21 episode (fantastic as always) raised some questions in my mind about the subject of hunter interference.  I think this topic really deserves some discussion,...and this seems to be a good time and place for it based on the video.

Of course, any ethical turkey hunter tries to avoid interfering with another that is first on a bird.  However, there is sometimes a fine line between intentional interference and unintentional interference.  Anybody that has hunted turkeys for very long on public land has most likely, at one time or another, unknowingly come in on another hunter working a bird.  The point at which a hunter becomes aware that another hunter is there is the point at which it becomes a question of ethics.  We should all adhere to the rule that the first guy on a bird gets to work him until they kill him or give up on that attempt. 

The issue of parked vehicles and how that should be interpreted is another matter.  How much "berth" should one hunter give another when they see a vehicle parked somewhere?  The obvious answer is that if a hunter sees a vehicle parked along a road, they should "move along" far enough that they feel certain they would not be screwing up the other guys hunt.  However, sometimes "moving along" means driving on down the road that the other vehicle is parked along.  That situation is often unavoidable if someone wants to hunt,...and sometimes that will unfortunately result in driving by hunters/gobblers that might have randomly ended up pretty close to the road in a set-up.  Again, the point at which it becomes unethical is when the second hunter stops/calls within "range" of the other hunter, especially if they are, or become, aware that the other hunter is nearby.

There are a lot of specific, public-land nuances to these general rules.  For instance, I am sure some public areas require hunters to park in specific parking areas,...that would certainly complicate matters for everybody.  There are also those instances where a hunter is not familiar with the area/topography and ends up near another hunter working a bird that they really had every intention of avoiding. 

The bottom line is that the issue of hunter interference is often not so "cut and dried" as it might seem at first glance. 
..And finally, this is not to be taken as a commentary one way or the other on what happened in the video.  Cove and Chubs are the only ones that can make the call as to what happened that morning.  This just seemed  like a good time to talk about it for the sake of discussion.

Happy

Personally I have no problem sharing land with others. I remember a few years back a fellow pulled into a public hunting spot as I was putting my vest on to go in. He got out and came over to ask where I planned on hunting. I told him and I could see the disappointed look come across his face. I asked where he was planning on hunting and he responded that he had roosted two birds the night before exactly where I was planning on hunting. I told him to have at them and that I would stay on the right side of the access road if that gave him enough room. He was delighted with that and off we went. I heard the Tom's at daylight from my listening point and I never heard a gunshot so I guess he didn't have much luck. The point is to treat others the way you want to be treated and hope others can do the same. You will still run into selfish jerks but I like to believe that their reward comes later in life. You don't have to be mean to idiots. They are pretty darn good at screwing themselves over on their own. The point is if you know someone is working a bird back the heck off and let them. If you get to talk to a fellow hunter then discuss you plans and work out a way everyone can have a safe and fun day without screwing each other over. Of course this takes people who have integrity and mean what they promise (not many left). It's all you can do though. On one day I had a fellow ruin four different setups on a pair of gobblers. Every time I would fire them up and get them coming he would slip between us to pick them off. He never called once.The fellow I was hunting with (a law enforcement officer) got so mad at him on the fourth incident that he chased him through the woods screaming at him to stop so he could kick his $&*!#. So yup I have been there and completely understand the frustration.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ClayW