turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do I measure? Updated with second question

Started by Sir-diealot, June 19, 2018, 07:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

When I measure my barrel to see how long it is to I measure from the front of the receiver or do I measure all the way back to what I cam going to call the tongue that goes down in where you slide it in? Length is not stamped on it. Thank you. From here I want to ask about turkey loads for next year. Thanks to 1iagobblergetter for answering my first question.

The second part of my question is what kind of ammo would you suggest for next season, My barrel measures about 24 inches and about 25 inches with choke tube pictured below. It must be lead shot as I simply can't afford a new choke and the high end TSS rounds by next season. I used a box of Remington Turkey Country 3" Magnums #5 shot in 12 Ga. but I think that I have had these since 2001 when I had my car accident and I am thinking there has to be something better now? (Shell wise) Any suggestions. Oh I live in New York and have to use between #4-#8 shot
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

1iagobblergetter

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Clydetaylor1

I think that choke is a 665 construction. Have killed some birds with it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on June 19, 2018, 09:48:12 PM
I think that choke is a 665 construction. Have killed some birds with it.
Suggestions on shell to use?

John Koenig:

Clydetaylor1

I have been shooting  hevi 13 #6 in 3 & 3 1/2 inch.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on June 19, 2018, 10:02:37 PM
I have been shooting  hevi 13 #6 in 3 & 3 1/2 inch.
Looked them up, as I said above I can only shoot lead with my choke. Thank you for trying though.

John Koenig:

allaboutshooting

Barrel length is measured from the face of the closed bolt to the muzzle-end. The easiest method I've found is to use a wooden dowel rod. I make sure the chamber and magazine if the gun has one, are empty. I close the bolt, insert the dowel until it's on the face of the bolt and then, use a pencil to mark the rod at the muzzle of the gun. Then I measure the dowel rod to the mark.

I am just starting to shoot some of the new Federal Grand Slam lead loads with 1.75 oz of #6 shot. I think they have promise but hopefully will be able to tell you more in a few weeks. It would however be difficult to better Hevi-13 shells for terminal energy. If however you keep your shots at reasonable ranges, lead shot can still do the job quite well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: allaboutshooting on June 19, 2018, 10:25:49 PM
Barrel length is measured from the face of the closed bolt to the muzzle-end. The easiest method I've found is to use a wooden dowel rod. I make sure the chamber and magazine if the gun has one, are empty. I close the bolt, insert the dowel until it's on the face of the bolt and then, use a pencil to mark the rod at the muzzle of the gun. Then I measure the dowel rod to the mark.

I am just starting to shoot some of the new Federal Grand Slam lead loads with 1.75 oz of #6 shot. I think they have promise but hopefully will be able to tell you more in a few weeks. It would however be difficult to better Hevi-13 shells for terminal energy. If however you keep your shots at reasonable ranges, lead shot can still do the job quite well.

Thanks,
Clark
If I had the money I would get another choke tube and some of the Hevi-13's but the only reason would be so that I could shoot #8's I guess the Hevi-13's are much denser so there would be more kinetic energy to them which should give better penetration and with going to #8's I could have a denser pattern but that is just not in the books this coming season. I have no desire to shoot beyond 30 yards, my eyes are not good enough.

John Koenig:

JonD.

I would say for your intended yardage and that choke, you should be good with just about any lead turkey load you would want to try. Some may pattern a little better than others, but you should be good as far as killing turkeys. I've tried them all at one time or another, lead and tungsten, and my favorite load is the Federal with the flight control wad #5's with a full choke. I also shoot these out of an old single shot(not very often-kicks like a mule) with a full choke that patterns well. I also shoot the Federal heavy weights #7's out of a single shot 20ga. with a full choke. They don't make these anymore (well... my opinion is the TSS are just repackaged heavyweights). The Longbeards are some tight patterning shells out of my gun with a turkey choke but anything closer than 25 yards and there is one big hole. I've been wanting to try a some out of a more open choke and see what happens, but haven't gotten around to it.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Sir-diealot

Quote from: JonD. on June 19, 2018, 11:53:57 PM
I would say for your intended yardage and that choke, you should be good with just about any lead turkey load you would want to try. Some may pattern a little better than others, but you should be good as far as killing turkeys. I've tried them all at one time or another, lead and tungsten, and my favorite load is the Federal with the flight control wad #5's with a full choke. I also shoot these out of an old single shot(not very often-kicks like a mule) with a full choke that patterns well. I also shoot the Federal heavy weights #7's out of a single shot 20ga. with a full choke. They don't make these anymore (well... my opinion is the TSS are just repackaged heavyweights). The Longbeards are some tight patterning shells out of my gun with a turkey choke but anything closer than 25 yards and there is one big hole. I've been wanting to try a some out of a more open choke and see what happens, but haven't gotten around to it.
Thank you for the reply. You are the third one to suggest Federal, (Somebody also in boxed me) I am definitely going to have to check them out. I got stuck this year using what I had after our vehicle died and was not satisfied with it to be perfectly honest but it was all I had. If we can get a vehicle up and running which (I am sure we will) I am going to do some testing through winter to see what I can find out so long as I can get to the shooting range.

John Koenig:

Clydetaylor1

I'm  pretty sure if your choke says lead only. That means no steel shot.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on June 20, 2018, 08:52:14 AM
I'm  pretty sure if your choke says lead only. That means no steel shot.
Yes I agree, I would think no Tungsten as well.

John Koenig:

daddyduke

I have had good results with Federal Strut-Shok.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

BrowningGuy88