turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is it just me???

Started by 1iagobblergetter, June 16, 2018, 12:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

I must be getting old...Anyone else ever think about how much money you spend on hunting equipment,calls,etc. verses how much you put in the collection plate ??? Im a believer,but not a big church attendee. Use to go regularly,but not much into crowds or what seemed like alot of hypocrites. Thinking about just getting offering envelopes and at least mailing in my offering instead of offering next to nothing..

donjuan

I have trouble attending as well due to the hypocrites. I know church is supposed to get you straightened out, but I cant stand seeing the gossip, greed, vanity, etc all week and then want attention by being a reader, usher, whatever.  I'm trying to work on my forgiveness,  but its hard
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

NCL

I don't think it is necessary to attend a service. Seeing the sunrise, or the bite of a clear cold mountain breeze while fishing often provide the clarity of mind for reverence. The hypocrisy that bothered me the most was the attitude that I can do anything I want for 6 days and 23 hours because I attend church on Sunday.   

Tail Feathers

I do think God wants us to worship in community with others.  I believe He set his church up for that very purpose.  I would gently urge those who aren't attending to go to their bible and do a little research on it before opting out of attending.

Back to the original topic, many churches now have apps to find info, log attendance and even donate to the church of your choice.  I'm sure it will be welcomed if sent by mail too.

Not knocking any one here because everyone has their own walk, but please take your concerns to Him in prayer and use his book to help answer questions.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

larry9988

Not attending church because of the hypocrites that do, is just not a good reason not to attend worship service. The church is absolutely full of people that act one way on Sunday and live like Hell all week. I am a regular church attender, but there are parts of my life that make me a hypocrite too. There are certain parts of my life that I have failed to give Lordship to God. Turkey calls are one of these things. I will spend lots of money on calls, then want to hold back on my tithe. That's greed, or an idol and that's wrong, if you believe the Bible, if you don't, none of this makes any sense. The church is not made up of perfect people that have it all together. The church is a place for sinners seeking to grow in their relationship with the God they believe in. If you believe the Bible, you also believe that one day we will stand in judgement. When that happens, you will only be asked about yourself, not about a single hypocrite that attended church. We should attend to grow closer to God, hopefully that's the reason others are attending. Can you worship God on a pond, at sunrise on a turkey hunt, absolutely yes, but it can not totally replace worship with other believers. Some people use the Hypocrite thing just as an excuse not to feel bad about not attending church. Jesus was pretty clear on worship attendance. Look at how many times he preached to crowds and went to the temples to teach. If Jesus attended, so should we. There is no doubt that the church has it's problems, so do I. I have a close turkey hunting buddy that did not attend church. We would hunt together on some Sunday mornings. There have many Sunday mornings over the years, that I would get up and slip out and leave my buddy working a bird. A couple of times I even heard him shoot before I got back to my truck. One morning when I got up to leave, he left too and went to church. He told me if were important enough for me to leave a gobbling turkey, he would go too. He now is a faithful attender too. We never know what small things we do will effect others. Another reason I feel the need to attend is for the influence it has on my children. I want them to attend, and how could I expect them to do something I don't do myself. I just broke my own rule. I said I would not comment on anything but turkey stuff on a turkey forum, but I did. There are just some things I feel too strong on to ignore. Just the thoughts of a sick man trying to get better and not blaming it on anyone but myself.

TauntoHawk

Finding a good church is hard today but when you do the fellowship and community is next to nothing and having those close relationships can really help keep you accountable in your walk with God. Tithing can be difficult it's hard to let that money go think its all ours, but isn't that what it's about placing your trust and money in the lord.

Again finding a church body to be apart of is really hard, so many churches just spend like the government spend spend spend and then ask the member to give more more more that is not the point of tithing or God's intention for that money he didn't intend for churches to have cafes, concert halls or more sports fields then the local high school. The church I attend does do debt they don't spend until it has been given and we've never passed a plate down the isles. There is a box in the back or donate online no pressure or theatrics and at least 25% of the money is used in the community outside the church to help others.

Back to topic, I spend a lot on hunting don't get me wrong but it's the last thing I spend money on tithe is always first and yet somehow I always still have money left for the hunting stuff I need or want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JonD.

Quote from: larry9988 on June 16, 2018, 10:06:09 AM
Not attending church because of the hypocrites that do, is just not a good reason not to attend worship service. The church is absolutely full of people that act one way on Sunday and live like Hell all week. I am a regular church attender, but there are parts of my life that make me a hypocrite too. There are certain parts of my life that I have failed to give Lordship to God. Turkey calls are one of these things. I will spend lots of money on calls, then want to hold back on my tithe. That's greed, or an idol and that's wrong, if you believe the Bible, if you don't, none of this makes any sense. The church is not made up of perfect people that have it all together. The church is a place for sinners seeking to grow in their relationship with the God they believe in. If you believe the Bible, you also believe that one day we will stand in judgement. When that happens, you will only be asked about yourself, not about a single hypocrite that attended church. We should attend to grow closer to God, hopefully that's the reason others are attending. Can you worship God on a pond, at sunrise on a turkey hunt, absolutely yes, but it can not totally replace worship with other believers. Some people use the Hypocrite thing just as an excuse not to feel bad about not attending church. Jesus was pretty clear on worship attendance. Look at how many times he preached to crowds and went to the temples to teach. If Jesus attended, so should we. There is no doubt that the church has it's problems, so do I. I have a close turkey hunting buddy that did not attend church. We would hunt together on some Sunday mornings. There have many Sunday mornings over the years, that I would get up and slip out and leave my buddy working a bird. A couple of times I even heard him shoot before I got back to my truck. One morning when I got up to leave, he left too and went to church. He told me if were important enough for me to leave a gobbling turkey, he would go too. He now is a faithful attender too. We never know what small things we do will effect others. Another reason I feel the need to attend is for the influence it has on my children. I want them to attend, and how could I expect them to do something I don't do myself. I just broke my own rule. I said I would not comment on anything but turkey stuff on a turkey forum, but I did. There are just some things I feel too strong on to ignore. Just the thoughts of a sick man trying to get better and not blaming it on anyone but myself.

AMEN brother!
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

TRG3

The Bible can be an intimidating book, full of small print and lots of pages; however, if you want to narrow down what God expects of everyone, it's pretty well summarized in Matthew 25:31-46 where Jesus tells us FOUR times what we need to do. I'd hope that you would take a few minutes to see where you are in relation to the expectations. You will have an eternity. It's just a matter of where it will be.

Sir-diealot

Only comment I can make.

Hebrews 10:25 King James Version (KJV)

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Truth me told I am guilty of it myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jstocks

Quote from: larry9988 on June 16, 2018, 10:06:09 AM

Amen.
We are to gather together as Christians. It's important for many of the reasons implied and stated in this post. Thank you for "breaking your own rule" and sharing your thoughts.

daddyduke

For those of us who call ourselves Christians it means we follow Jesus. His Word says that He went into the synagogue whenever possible. He attended church with people who wanted to kill Him but He still went and taught. I think here in America we are so Blessed by God that we take it for granted. We are called to serve with God's Goodness so that those who do not know Him will see His Glory though us.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

davisd9

I give at least 10% of any income before taxes as a tithe and am fortunate to be in the position to give a little offerings here or there.  There are hypocrites everywhere, even on this forum.  If you are not going to church cause of the people then you need to reevaluate the purpose of church and worship. Glad to hear you want to do what God has asked cause many on pews Sunday morning do not drop a dime in the plate after all the Almighty has done for them.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: davisd9 on June 18, 2018, 11:37:00 AM
I give at least 10% of any income before taxes as a tithe and am fortunate to be in the position to give a little offerings here or there.  There are hypocrites everywhere, even on this forum.  If you are not going to church cause of the people then you need to reevaluate the purpose of church and worship. Glad to hear you want to do what God has asked cause many on pews Sunday morning do not drop a dime in the plate after all the Almighty has done for them.

I used to do this every month when I got my disability in and I was able to work part time driving cab but when my accident happened I became mad at God and then at the death of one of the best friends I have ever had in my life I became furious with him and did not even go to church for years. I am beginning to go back, but feel like a hypocrite as my GF and I are basically living together (She still maintains her residence but is always here now that we don't have wheels) but if we get married they will cut both our incomes in half and we are just able to be where we can get a nice thing for yourself every month and if they cut us I will only get $626.50 a month and she will only get about $450.00 a month. It sucks that they let you live in sin with no penalty but take from you if you do what is right.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

donjuan

Being self righteous is also sinful
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

davisd9

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 18, 2018, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on June 18, 2018, 11:37:00 AM

I used to do this every month when I got my disability in and I was able to work part time driving cab but when my accident happened I became mad at God and then at the death of one of the best friends I have ever had in my life I became furious with him and did not even go to church for years. I am beginning to go back, but feel like a hypocrite as my GF and I are basically living together (She still maintains her residence but is always here now that we don't have wheels) but if we get married they will cut both our incomes in half and we are just able to be where we can get a nice thing for yourself every month and if they cut us I will only get $626.50 a month and she will only get about $450.00 a month. It sucks that they let you live in sin with no penalty but take from you if you do what is right.

We have all had our moments of questioning.  We are human and cannot always conceive the will of God, Isaiah 55:8-9.  It is very sad that our society does reward those not doing things the right way and punishes those that do, but you have to make a decision of what reward is better, earthly or eternally? We have all sinned and always will because we cannot fulfill the law and that is why God gave us the Grace of the Cross.  No one deserves it, but it is freely given with repentance. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer