turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heavy Weight or Hevi-13???

Started by Grant Flaming, April 23, 2011, 11:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Flaming

I currently shoot Federal Mag-Shock #5 lead turkey loads through a Carlson's .575. The flitecontrol wad really helps them pattern way better than other lead loads for me. I would like to get some HTL 7's, so should I try the Hevi-13 with a regular wad or the Heavyweight with a flitecontrol wad? I know my choke constriction isn't that tight so I am leaning towards the Heavyweight.

Thanks in advance for feedback,
Grant

P.S.  I can shoot to 35 yards with the loads I mentioned above. With HTL 7's could I make it to 40 for sure?

Twister

I would get some of each and pattern them both. I think that is the only way you will tell which one patterns better in your shotgun.

goblr77

My guns liked the Hevi 13 better than the Feds but both patterned good.

gophert

Quote from: goblr77 on April 24, 2011, 02:04:20 PM
My guns liked the Hevi 13 better than the Feds but both patterned good.
:agreed:

surehuntsalot

I also use the Carlson .575 choke on my 20ga 870 youth with Federal lead and HW loads with the flightcontrol wad
I get great patterns with both shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gobbler74

Federal 7s. For sure. What gun?
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

MOSPURS

THATS A VERY GOOD HEAVYWEIGHT CHOKE

dawei

Quote from: Grant Flaming on April 23, 2011, 11:06:25 PM
I currently shoot Federal Mag-Shock #5 lead turkey loads through a Carlson's .575. The flitecontrol wad really helps them pattern way better than other lead loads for me. I would like to get some HTL 7's, so should I try the Hevi-13 with a regular wad or the Heavyweight with a flitecontrol wad? I know my choke constriction isn't that tight so I am leaning towards the Heavyweight.

Thanks in advance for feedback,
Grant

P.S.  I can shoot to 35 yards with the loads I mentioned above. With HTL 7's could I make it to 40 for sure?
If it were me, due to the success you already receive w/Federal® Flitecontrol® Pb; I'd go with the Federal® Heavyweight®. Environ•Metal® keeps dinking around with their Hevi13™ 20ga loads so you never know what kind of performance you will get. Federal® Flitecontrol® ammo, both Pb and HTL; is consistently good. FWIW, your present Pb load has the lethality to 45yds (if your pattern holds).

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Longshanks

Better numbers with Hevi 7's than HW 7's out of a Beretta 390  PG .570

Trying the Hevi Choke .573 to see if it improves with the Hevi 7's. Reports of 150's @ 40. Keep you posted.

JUGHEAD

Quote from:  link=topic=8438.msg117990#msg117990 date=1306175795
I'd go with the Federal HWT, for sure.  It's a much better shell, but may need to be choked differently. 
What choke would you recommend for the Federal HW 7's with a Remington 870 youth with 21" barrel?

surehuntsalot

Quote from: JUGHEAD on May 25, 2011, 05:13:05 PM
Quote from:  link=topic=8438.msg117990#msg117990 date=1306175795
I'd go with the Federal HWT, for sure.  It's a much better shell, but may need to be choked differently. 
What choke would you recommend for the Federal HW 7's with a Remington 870 youth with 21" barrel?

I have a Carlson .575 in my 870 youth and a Hastings .570 on the way to try in it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

JUGHEAD

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 25, 2011, 07:45:15 PMStart with a Rem SF from Midwest Gun Works. You can't beat the price, and sometimes if you have the right gun, you can't beat the choke. My gun with the RSF and #7 Fed HWT will consistently throw 170s at 40 yds, and around 115 at 50 yds.
Already tried that man.  I'm only getting in the 140-150 range with the RSF and #7 Fed HWT at 30 YARDS.  On the contrary, I'm getting 220+ at 30 yards with Hevi-13s with that choke.  Just did some quick testing before trying to get my son his first turkey, but I'm wanting to do much more testing this summer.  Hence, my question.

Luke95

Sumtoy Get Choked