OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One of the fastest hunts I've ever been on.

Started by BOFF, April 23, 2011, 10:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Well slept in this am, as I didn't have anyone to take hunting this morning. So I stayed home, and did some "honeydos" which have been put off.

This afternoon, I found a friend who was able to go, and hadn't taken a local bird all year. We left the house by 3:20, and parked the truck  by 4:30, talked for a few minutes, got our stuff together, and left. We eased off the hill to go to a plateau which T-ed into a road running up to  a green field. I set him up to the side, and took off my turkey vest, and gun, and laid them quietly on the ground. I took Henrietta (my decoy from TRKYHTR) and got down on my hand and knees with with Henrietta, and eased up to the middle of the plateau to where I could see up the hill road to the field. I inched along as the the road became more clear, and for some reason I went extra slow and took my time. I laid flat on my belly and extended my arms with the decoy, and all of a sudden I saw a black body on the far right hand side of the road, 70 yards up the hill. I quickly tried to plant Henrietta in the ground, and eased a foot back out of sight, as the turkey stepped forward towards Henrietta.

I frantically waved at my buddy to get down, and mouthed the words, TURKEY. He looked puzzled, but could see I was excited about something, as the head net covered the panic facial expressions I had and any mouth movements I said. He sat down at the base of a small tree with me motioning with my hand to sit, and I quickly sat down next to him and immediately I purred and scratched in the leaves. I whispered "He's just up the hill."  I purred quickly again, and scratched the leaves, and my buddy replies "I see him". The turkey was in full strutt and moving to Henrietta, and eased into view. With a blue head, and full strutt, he took a few more steps and gave the one eye in our direction. He was probably looking at my turkey vest, and gun lying lonely and abandoned in the road 15 yards in front of us. He went back into strutt, and moved closer to Henrietta, and then stretched his neck up. I clucked 2-3 times, which startled my buddy, (I saw your gun flinch- lol). The single shot 10 fired about a second later when the gobbler fully extended his head to see why two big bushes were making a clucking noises, past a turkey vest and gun lying in the road. The turkey flopped over, and we just looked at each other in amazement.

From the time I placed Henrietta in the ground and frantically scurried back, like a mouse seeing a cat, and the time my buddy shot and the turkey slammed the ground, it probably took 2 minutes maximum.

10" beard, and 7/8" spurs.

WOW!! I'm still in amazement of how Blessed this season has been!!

Thank you Lord again for the land to hunt and manage, good friends to share it with, and a loving wife and daughter who support me in all I do.

God Bless,
David B.

new2turkey

Hate those FAT hunts  :goofball:

Congrats on a nice bird

BOFF

Quote from: new2turkey on April 23, 2011, 10:30:33 PM

Congrats on a nice bird

:toothy12: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :toothy12:

Thanks for catching that.

So busy editing the story, I forgot to look a the title.  *slaps head*

God Bless,
David B.

new2turkey

Quote from: BOFF on April 23, 2011, 10:34:17 PM
Quote from: new2turkey on April 23, 2011, 10:30:33 PM

Congrats on a nice bird

:toothy12: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :toothy12:

Thanks for catching that.

So busy editing the story, I forgot to look a the title.  *slaps head*

God Bless,
David B.

N9 problem, Great read Boff  :icon_thumright:

Flydown

That is awesome David! Congrats on a great Alabama season so far!!! :you_rock:

M,Yingling

looks like it was great hunt ,,, Congrats to you both   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

drenalinld

Congratulations! We deserve that quick one once in a while.

OLE RASPY

njdevilsb

Congrats guys.  Nice bird.  Those flash hunts sure can be exciting.

TRKYHTR

Ain't nothing wrong with a 2 minute hunt. Glad your decoys are helping you kill some birds. I had a gobbler fly 150 yards over a fence to get to my Jake today. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Ol'Mossy

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

pappy

God richly blessed you ... sweet hunt and I love the story .. Henrietta sure made this Ol' boy take notice....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Hognutz

Congrats , David, and to your buddy. You sure have the golden horseshoe this year. I am happy for you. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.. Blessed Easter, my friend,  Mike :cross2:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.