turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Feel terrible

Started by ghillie, April 23, 2011, 08:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghillie

Well...I put an arrow through a very nice bird around 545 tonight.  Same bird I missed on the opener.   I gave him about 30 min as I didn't stone him.   Tracked a really good blood trail until I lost it due to loss of light.   With all the blood he lost I'm really suprised I didn't come across him.  I feel terrible...this bird had it all...swinging, dragging beard and some hooks!!  This is what I hate about bow hunting....

paintbrush

Get back out there at first light tommorow and just maybe you can pick back up on the trail where you left off and hopefully find him.

ghillie

Yep...I plan on it...he made a big circle and got back behind me...he was heading to where the roost is.  The good thing (I guess) is that he was heading in that direction.  There were three other toms in the field with him and all four of them have been roosting in the same spot...so we will see tomorrow just how many birds are sounding off.  It was kinda tricky following that blood trail without busting everything outta there.  When I got back to the truck I sat and listened...the roost was quiet...not a good sign.  Still though...I got a hole in my gut and just feel terrible...nothing I hate more than crippling a very worthy opponent...he deserved a clean kill....man...I think sometimes I could screw up  boiling water!!!

Missed the first shot clean (low and in the dirt on a hill)...stepped off 28 or so yards..brought him out of a half strut...got a second shot off when he gave me a profile...which hit him low...he had a pretty good limp going...stepped off 41 or so yards...

Muskie03

I lost one last year bow hunting. Just a horrible feeling. I hope ya find him.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

ghillie

Only heard two birds today...picked up the trail where I left off...followed it for about 1/4 mile into the roost area.....found nothing but a big ol pile of feathers....I could just pike

paintbrush

Well that stinks! Suppose the yotes got him.

Jayhawkeye

that sucks!!!  that's exactly why i mainly only use a shotgun/rifle anymore.  i lost a few big deer with clean shots and blood everywhere, but the darn yotes got to them before i could find them the next morning.  i feel you pain! 
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!