turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on Sights

Started by rooster, May 30, 2018, 02:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I've used the truglo mag gobble dots ($45) version for years.  These or the Williams fire sights are the only ones I'll use.  Otherwise I'd opt for some sort of optics of which I have no experience.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

would not hunt a gun without a red dot for turkey
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

countryboy3006

I also use the Truglo mag gobble dot and wouldn't hunt turkey without some type of sight or optic on my gun.  I have been thinking about trying a red dot of some kind to see how I like it.

THattaway

I use beads, fiber optic rifle sights and burris FF3. If POA/POI is an issue then sights are a must. Tight patterning guns will benefit from sights and red dot reflex sights will provide you a good field of view. There is always potential for damage if you are rough on equipment and batteries to manage on red dots. A good hunting pattern from a gun that shoots true with beads is very hard to mess up.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Ozarks Hillbilly

40 years ago I had a single bead and on the end of a 36" barrel it looked the size of a beer can. Next few turkey gun's had twin beads. Next one's had adjustable fiber rifle sights. The latest one I pack has a Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA red dot. Its rugged has adjustable brightness level's will power it's off when motionless for 5 min to save battery life and powers back on with minimal movement. 

the Ward

I started with a bead, then went to fiber optic clamp on sights because of poi/poa problems. Then I went to red dot sights because my eyes got just old enough and couldn't line up the sights without wearing a pair of "cheaters." Had great success with the red dots, but made the switch to a low powered scope this season. Love it! Nice to be able to focus it for a crisp sight picture, and the model I got has 6" of eye relief, so no worries about crawling the stock and getting whacked in the eye. The scope adds a little bit of weight, but the gun is pretty lightweight to begin with, so it still weighs about the same as my bps with fiber optics. I still think an open dot like the fastfire 3, and red dots like it are probably about the perfect turkey gun sighting system, but I am really liking the scope right now. I am going to put it thru it's paces the next couple of seasons and see how it stacks up.