turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions on Sights

Started by rooster, May 30, 2018, 02:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Anyone have any opinions on sights? Ive stuck with the front bead on my old BPS but was thinking of mabee trying other options. Bad as well as good experiences are always appreciated.!

guesswho

I never thought I'd like a red dot style sight.  But I've used a Vortex Venom for the last couple of years and wish I'd have went to one sooner.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

I used a scope for years until it gave up the ghost. Since then I've switched to a dot sight. My latest is a Trijicon RMR. Expensive, but rugged and reliable, and doesn't use batteries. Most of my friends who use just a dot, and even fiber optics usually miss at least one bird a year due to not having their head all the way down on the stock. Optics negate that problem, and they give you a focused sight picture. I will never go back to the front bead. :fud: :turkey:

howl

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Bead is best!

Second best is a good quality dot sight solidly mounted. You should look through them before you buy to make sure the dot is clear enough for you and the bright enough to use in bright sunlight.

turkeymanjim

Burris fast fire 3 on all my turkey guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

I've used a red dot scope-type for many years...not the holographic Burris type. I prefer it because the lenses are covered. With the holographic type the lenses are exposed to the weather and, particularly, sunlight reflection. But, in either event, IMO the single dot is the main feature.

Marc

I posted a similar question early in the season...  Before learning about this site, I had heard of optics and scopes for turkey hunting, but had no idea how many people actually used them...

As a wing-shooter, I will stick with the bead....  Honestly, although I have missed, shooting a turkey on the ground at close range with a shotgun is not much of a challenge (as far as the actual shooting).  I kinda' like being a bit nervous shooting at a bird, and I sorta' relish the relief when they start flopping.

I fiddled with some optics, and for me, I think I might be tempted to take longer shots, or underestimate range.  Looking at a turkey decoy at 50 yards through optics, looks like an easy kill (although I know better).

Two of my three birds this season, I had to mount and shoot the gun quickly to make the shot...  I know with practice this can be done with optics (and some sights/optics are better than others), but I found it far more difficult with optics than a plain bead.

If I were missing turkeys with a bead, I might consider optics...  Or practice... 

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

JonD.

I used a red/green dot for several years but got tired of replacing batteries when I forgot to turn it off. Replaced it with a compact fixed 4 power scope and never looked back.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

LaLongbeard

Beads don't require battery's and I've never broke one
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

wchadw

Quote from: rooster on May 30, 2018, 02:04:44 PM
Anyone have any opinions on sights? Ive stuck with the front bead on my old BPS but was thinking of mabee trying other options. Bad as well as good experiences are always appreciated.!
I'm using a trijicon fiber rmr. Small and tough. No batteries needed. Only con besides price is if you are in a blind or shady area the dot can get a little washed out aiming into a real bright area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbird

I liked a red dot until I had the sun at my back a gobbler @40 yds and the sun was bright and I couldn't see my sight! I vote bead or some kind of rifle sight!

bonasa

Burris FF3 8mil dot, no complaints and no problems.

Turkeytider

First time and year I`ve ever used optics of any kind on a shotgun. I`m most assuredly a red dot convert, particularly so since you`re aiming and not pointing.

dublelung

Tru Glo red/green dot for me. I've used it for several years and really like it. Batteries come 2 per pack. I replace battery each season and keep a spare in my vest and have never had one run out during the season.

stinkpickle

I was fine with beads and clamp-on sights until my eyesight started to go.  Now, I'm using FastFires and SPARCs.