Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

any one wear a "turkey belt" instead of a vest?

Started by adkmountainken, May 28, 2018, 09:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

I saw a few pictures of different turkey belts worn by a few of the old timers instead of using a vest and it intrigues me as I hunt steep mountains and would like to keep weight to a minimum. no matter how hard I try every time I put my vest on I have WAY to much junk! does anyone wear a "turkey belt" and do you have pictures?

Yoder409

I wear a turkey belt with a zippered pouch on it.  A lot of people call it a fanny pack................

I reckon that's not what you're talking about.

:D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

howl

Have done. Putting your stuff near the ground gets it dirty. Move the pouch or organizer, etc. to a binocular harness and it doesn't touch the ground.

TauntoHawk

Too much stuff around the waist when you go to sit down I would think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gooserbat

In the last couple of years I've started wearing a fanny pack which I have added a seat cushion and a box call holster.  I like it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JonD.

I don't use a vest anymore, but a small camo backpack. Works great carrying, but I have seen a few times when I needed to get to it fast and couldn't.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

guesswho

I went to a belt system a couple years ago.   No plans on going back to a vest. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

outdoors

For what I carry a sling pack works perfectly for me
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Yoder409

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 28, 2018, 10:27:30 AM

I hunt light.  Nooooooo issues.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 28, 2018, 12:43:59 PM

Do you have a system you take it off when you sit down or does it stay on your waist. I often wonder why I don't go light when I run 2-3 calls on 95% of hunts

I have more in case gear then needed stuff but the weight never bothered me I'm used to heavy packs when big game hunting so a vest still seems light comparatively

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sir-diealot

I have used them on and off through the years, the only thing I have found that I do not like about most is that they slide down my rump quite often. I am seriously looking at some with shoulder harnesses for next year. The little bear or big bear are two that interest me. https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Little-Fanny-Hunting/dp/B00359024W?ref=ast_p_ep and https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Bear-Hunting-Pack/dp/B004Y7J434/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1527549115&sr=1-1&keywords=Alps+big+bear
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

earl9932

With waist style fanny packs, to prevent from sliding down the back side, I've clipped or sewn on a pair of suspenders which works great for weight distribution and fit.

saltysenior

you just spin the belt 1/2 way around so the fanny pac is in front when you want to sit....of course the compass is now where the toilet paper was in the side pockets.. :funnyturkey:

Yoder409

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 28, 2018, 02:29:24 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on May 28, 2018, 12:43:59 PM

Do you have a system you take it off when you sit down or does it stay on your waist. I often wonder why I don't go light when I run 2-3 calls on 95% of hunts

I have more in case gear then needed stuff but the weight never bothered me I'm used to heavy packs when big game hunting so a vest still seems light comparatively

Yep.   Loosen the belt a bit just before I sit down and give the pack either a 90 or 180 degree turn on to my right hip or into my lap.  For an extended sit, I'll just take it the whole way off and set it on the ground to my left with the top flap open so I can access whatever it is I need.
PA elitist since 1979