OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Field hunters

Started by GOOSESLAYER, May 22, 2018, 06:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

Hunting in the evening what's the lastest you've had turkey come out to the field

guesswho

Seen them go from field to roost many times.   As far as actually entering a field, I'd say about an hour before fly-up. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GOOSESLAYER

Decided to give it go tonight. And we weren't set up 5 minutes and this bird is hammering. He is with his hens cause they are sparked up from my light calling. I shut up for about an hour now. Hoping they make there way out for dinner before they head to roost about 100 yards away

guesswho

If nothing else, you have a good starting point for tomorrow if you can hunt!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GOOSESLAYER

Can't hunt till the weekend but it's private property and I know where their coming out every morn. He still at it smh. Got a lot of LBs under my belt never dealt with a bird that gobbles so much especially with hens

JonD.

The latest I've ever had a bird respond and come in to calling was around 6:00 EST. Just about every bird I've ever taken in the afternoon was right around 4:00 give or take an hour with one exception.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

JMalin

If the hens are responding to your calls, I'd imitate her calling and see if you can't get her pissed and/or curious and come in to investigate. 

davisd9

Killed a few between 7:30-7:45 Eastern. Seen them in fields as late as 8:15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GOOSESLAYER

I like hearing that you seen them that late. Thanks fellas. And yes I was messing with her then she stopped

1iagobblergetter

I've sen them strutting in fields right up to right before heading up to roost. I hunt alot of fields and have killed them from beginning of legal shooting hours to end. Put the time in and pay attention to whats going on out there and you'll get one killed.

JK Spurs

Had one in the field at about 8/8:15 tonight....he's in bed now and I know where I'll be in the morning and it won't be at work!
I like my turkey well peppered

GOOSESLAYER

JK....hope you get him

The birds never came out last night, stayed 40 to 80 yards behind us gobbling back and forth. Sundays the last day so we will give'r hell. Cant convince the fiancé to take off work to try them before then unfortunately

Sixes

How far off the field are you setting up?  I've found it works better to be close to max shooting range from the field edge. If your are right at the edge, then the birds don't have a reason to come look for you. If you are in the woods a bit, I think your odds go up since curiosity will being them looking.

GOOSESLAYER

im right in the middle of the cut in the field, they come out each corner of the cut. Where we are set you can shoot both corners. 40 yards to each corner

stinkpickle

Evening field birds that gobble a lot always give me fits.  They tend to stay out in the middle of the field and hammer rather than come to calls.  At least, that's what they usually do to me.