OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What did you learn this year ?

Started by ilbucksndux, May 22, 2018, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

#1 - I love buying/trying new calls but seem to kill the majority of turkeys with mouth calls that I make for pennies on the dollar. I'll try not to buy as many new calls next year. Yeah right...lol

#2 - A 20 ga is NOT less gun than a 12 ga.

renegade19

1.  Being patient and playing hard to get can work really well. 
2.  Jakes aren't always that dumb (just ask my buddy).
3.  Calling in a bird for someone else and seeing their thrill is still better than killing one yourself.
4.  Hooks "Enforcer" mouth calls just "fit" me for some reason.
5.  My 870 Super Mag loves, loves, loves the Winchester XR Longbeards and I do too now.
6.  The Blind Hog (me) sometimes finds the acorn and has an unbelievably great year.

jryser

I had to RE-learn Patience. And remember that as skilled as I think I am, I'm dealing with turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolandstrutters

I learned that black hills merriams are more hard headed then all other merriams.

Swenny

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 22, 2018, 09:25:52 PM
I don't know.  I feel dumber every year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!!

lil foot

that my obsessive nature has gone into overdrive with different types of calls and calling. still calling and our season closed over a month ago.

wade

That it's much easier to kill a bird 1800 miles from home than on the farm where you always hunt.
Do it outdoors

cuttinAR

Quote from: guesswho on May 22, 2018, 06:44:06 PM
I learned that the turkey hunting I grew up with is quickly fading into the past.    Also learned not all gobblers are straight.

Because of the population taking a hit or the new type of hunting that has filtered into turkey hunting?

guesswho

Quote from: cuttinAR on May 23, 2018, 12:12:52 PM
Because of the population taking a hit or the new type of hunting that has filtered into turkey hunting?
The newer tactics and styles of hunting that are replacing what we thought turkey hunting was 50, 40 or even 30 years ago.   I'm now a dinosaur in turkey hunting.   Time marches on!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

I learned, once again, that turkeys that want to get killed usually do,....and turkeys that don't want to get killed, usually don't.   ;D

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: guesswho on May 22, 2018, 07:30:30 PM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 22, 2018, 07:08:26 PM
I also learned that just because you are watching a squirrel on the ground next to your leg doesn't mean his buddy isn't about to jump on your shoulder.
The end result could be a good locator call.

Sure would, but needs to come with a defibrillator

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tail Feathers

I re-learned that I often call too much.
I also learned that setting up on the other side of a gas well road to work a bird will guarantee that at least two gas well trucks will roll through five minutes apart as the bird begins to work to you. :'(
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

merriamsman

I learned that after all the TSS load development, the putting a red dot scope on my gun, the pattern testing, the sighting in, etc. I can still miss a bird at 30 yards.

SD_smith

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 23, 2018, 12:24:02 PM
I learned, once again, that turkeys that want to get killed usually do,....and turkeys that don't want to get killed, usually don't.   ;D

I feel like this really explains merriams hunting! Some days I feel like the best dang hunter in the whole world....other days I am the worst this land has ever seen hahaha there is no in between out west most of the time