turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What did you learn this year ?

Started by ilbucksndux, May 22, 2018, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

I learned I don't bounce as good as I used to.
Dry creek crossing can be hazardous.
It is possible, with the right Turkey vest, to go an entire season without losing something (first time in nearly 40 years).
I can have the same hunter miss multiple birds on the same hunt and still smile at them.

TRG3

I remembered what I learned last year. On two different occasions this spring, I arrive about a half-hour before gobble time as close as I dared get to the spot where they were at this time the previous morning. When the first bird gobbled some 100 yards away, I did not try to get closer but instead just held my ground. Sure enough, a gobbler opened up less that 50 yards away and I would have spooked him off the roost had I tried to move closer to the first bird I heard or tried to put out my decoys. In addition, I also learned that a hen repeatedly aggressively purring followed by a loud sharp cluck will pull in a gobbler from barely hearing distance to right there in less that a minute; however, the gobbler will hang up at about 75 yards and the hen will go to him, not offering a shot. Turkeys take me to school on a regular basis!

turkey harvester

Just cause everyone else loves em, I learned to put the super tight longbeards back in the cabinet. I shoot a mossy 835 with a .660 Jebs choke my buddy got for me. First year with new choke and #5 longbeards and combined with my natural shake,lol, for me suck!! Missed 2 longbeards this year under 30 yards. Ya it looks good on paper but when your left scratching your head, you go back to the old faithful Winchester supremes!! ????
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

dublelung

I actually learned this a few years ago but I reminded myself 5 times this year. You don't need those goofy dekes to trick a gobbler into range.  ;)

Yelper

That you don't need a $400-$600 pot or box call to take turkey's.

I took 5 gobblers this season and the highest price call used was a $125.00 box call.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Yelper on June 20, 2018, 03:00:49 PM
That you don't need a $400-$600 pot or box call to take turkey's.

I took 5 gobblers this season and the highest price call used was a $125.00 box call.
Haha for real

I don't get into these bidding wars over status calls but I have a good $1000 invested in my modest call collection while the majority of my turkeys are worked with with a $18 scratch box and $8 mouth call combo I've been running for 3 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

m2benelli

Learned that at 65! can still roll under barb wire fence

Learned belly crawling to a knoll in a pasture takes a long time when one is old

Learned that a guide in OH who takes off in the dark with no light and the briars get higher the farther down hill you walk that it's best to ask the guide what he does for a living BEFORE you let him take off  and finding out later that he is an active duty marine sniper- seriously!

Learned that my fear of going to Mexico for 10 years was just that - misjudged fear

That the light at the end of the tunnel is getting narrower each year  and that each day afield is precious

yelpy

Learned that a walkers game ear is a great tool when you have hearing loss in one ear. I was hearing birds and messed up because they weren't where I thought they were. Having 2 good ears helps you pinpoint what direction the gobble came from and with the game ear I could here the little sounds that a bird makes that I never would have heard if I didn't have it in my ear.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Fullfan

Discovered that even having a full knee replacement on 4/30 did not keep me from chasing them. Killed in Mo prior to the surgery. And 12 day after here in PA. Second bird died on the 22nd.  Was also able to call several up for my son and one of his buds.  I guess it all depends on how bad a person wants to hunt.
Don't gobble at me...

Happy

I learned a broken beer bottle can deflate a tire really fast. I also learned I can change a tire really fast when a storm is quickly approaching

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

g8rvet

Quote from: Happy on June 21, 2018, 02:05:11 PM
I learned a broken beer bottle can deflate a tire really fast. I also learned I can change a tire really fast when a storm is quickly approaching

I learned that a few years back when heading to a tournament weigh in.  Missed the money by one pound, but made the weigh in by 10 minutes. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

donjuan

I learned here that if you don't call a bird in with a platz pot and kill him with a greenleaf 870, your not doing it right.   :z-twocents: :popcorn:
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Happy

Quote from: donjuan on June 21, 2018, 05:31:36 PM
I learned here that if you don't call a bird in with a platz pot and kill him with a greenleaf 870, your not doing it right.   :z-twocents: :popcorn:
I will never do it right then.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Quote from: wade on May 24, 2018, 06:03:37 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on May 23, 2018, 12:24:02 PM
I learned, once again, that turkeys that want to get killed usually do,....and turkeys that don't want to get killed, usually don't.   ;D

Should be on a hat, tee shirt and bumper sticker.

Should be carved in a stone somewhere.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Couple more things I learned...............

Wyoming has some of the most IGNORANT turkeys on earth.

If you don't have some SERIOUS diggers on your truck, you ain't going hunting in Wyoming or Nebraska after it rains.

It is possible to bring approximately 200 pounds of dried Wyoming mud home to Pennsylvania inside the wheel wells of your pickup.

Just because you killed a bird in the morning does NOT mean your red dot will still be zeroed that afternoon.

I will never buy another Weaver optic as long as I live.

One of the coolest things you will ever do is watch your brother work and kill a bird from 1/2 mile away through binos.

20 gauge turkey guns are for REAL !!!

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.