turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What did you learn this year ?

Started by ilbucksndux, May 22, 2018, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srmturk

Great thread.  Entertaining AND informative.  I learned (almost too late) to remember to be flexible.  Birds are different...areas are different...time of year is different.  Adapt.  I was doing my normal thing for three weeks with no luck.  Normal for me is relatively little calling...don't set up right on top of them...etc.  Relatively conservative.  It has worked well for me.  But I was having no luck so I said to myself...get aggressive in all facets.  What can it hurt?  Next morning dead bird by 5:20.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: guesswho on May 23, 2018, 12:22:14 PM
Quote from: cuttinAR on May 23, 2018, 12:12:52 PM
Because of the population taking a hit or the new type of hunting that has filtered into turkey hunting?
The newer tactics and styles of hunting that are replacing what we thought turkey hunting was 50, 40 or even 30 years ago.   I'm now a dinosaur in turkey hunting.   Time marches on!
What?  Old school stuff like no decoys or blinds, just you, the bird and your calling?  Still my go-to method 95% of the time.  My oldest two grandkids haven't killed birds over dekes, they are being taught like I learned.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

I've learned that you never "learn" turkeys
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 23, 2018, 03:20:16 PM
What?  Old school stuff like no decoys or blinds, just you, the bird and your calling?  Still my go-to method 95% of the time.  My oldest two grandkids haven't killed birds over dekes, they are being taught like I learned.
Yep.  Nothing against the new age guys.   I just hate to see that era become a fading memory for most.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dukejb

Just because there were turkeys in this spot last year, last week or even yesterday that doesn't mean they're here today. Also, my masculinity is so strong that it flows through my calling which is the only reasonable explanation for the number of hens I called in before finally tagging out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

It's nothing I learned this year, I just got re-educated in a big way. I made a couple of rookie mistakes of trying to move my head a couple of inches when I had a gobbler inside 20 yards.  Luckily, a breeze blew the leaves around me and the gobbler quickly ignored it.  I also rushed a shot on the same bird at 14 yards and shot clean over his head.  Bet I don't miss next time.  Trouble is I need to wait another 10.5 months before I can  hunt 'em again.  Now, if I could just get that miss to quit replaying in my mind over & over again....

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Dukejb on May 23, 2018, 05:06:58 PM
Just because there were turkeys in this spot last year, last week or even yesterday that doesn't mean they're here today. Also, my masculinity is so strong that it flows through my calling which is the only reasonable explanation for the number of hens I called in before finally tagging out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Us hairy chested he-men experience that a lot.  :funnyturkey:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wade

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 23, 2018, 12:24:02 PM
I learned, once again, that turkeys that want to get killed usually do,....and turkeys that don't want to get killed, usually don't.   ;D

Should be on a hat, tee shirt and bumper sticker.
Do it outdoors

wade

The biggest thing I learned is don't get stuck in a rut. No matter how good the hunting "seems" like its going to be in an area, scout other places. Nothing like a good backup plan.
Do it outdoors

donjuan

They might gobble like crazy in 45 degree rain.

Sit tight....had 2 times I went chasing gobbles, lost track of them, then heard them where I started.

The bond you can develop with a friend or family member hunting is extremely deep and unexplainable
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Uncle Nicky

I learned that getting on a lease doesn't mean you are going to be in turkey heaven. I may get on another lease or join a club at some point in the future, but I won't sign back on for the lease I was on this year. :-[ :-[  :TrainWreck1:

High plains drifter

Take a hard look at a new farm in the daylight, and leave a marker on the road.Otherwise, you may be in the wrong place at 0 dark thirty.This happened to me this year, still got a nice gobbler, in a beautiful area. Also, in the open hill country, stay down on the crick, in the hardwoods, if it's light out, otherwise they will see you.You look for a deep cut, going up to the flat, high ground.

LI Outdoorsman

I finally got the message that I call way too much and way too loud. If they really want to come he already knows where you are ( talking easterns here)...too much calling and they hang up...plus I put in alot of miles getting in position on my "sure thing" spot and got outsmarted every morning...hit my last plan C spot and killed at 6:35 am...what I learn every year is that I really know nothing!!

wisconsinteacher

I learned that a 20ga with tss is deadly.  I've had a great season and tried something different.  I felt I hunted smarter not harder.  I did more scouting and less calling.  I also got more aggressive in my set ups on gobbling birds.  I really pushed into their bubble and it worked on all of my birds.  I was in a position where they had to come check me out.  I also called a lot less then before and I think that helped out.  My first 3 birds came in a total of 5 sits before or after work.  Bird 4 took 3 hunts to get lucky on.  On the second hunt on my 4th bird I saw him in a field with a hen and I let them go away naturally.  I never called, I just watched them and the following morning, I was able to get him as he touched the ground looking for me.  In the past, I would have pushed them and tried  every call on them but it was hot and he was not strutting just feeding to his roost so I slipped out and waited. 

High plains drifter

Some guy said on here that you have to adapt to different variations.This is true.I learned a while back, to change my way of hunting, depending on the situation, and terrain.The biggest thing I ever learned, is don't let them ever see you!!! Stay in the cover, and call.