OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What did you learn this year ?

Started by ilbucksndux, May 22, 2018, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

Every year I walk away from turkey season learning something. This year was very odd here. It was unseasonably cold . Not sure if that had anything to do with it but I just couldnt find a bird that gobbled more than twice once his feet were on the ground. So to combat that I would get as close as I could to him when he was in a tree resulting in bumping more birds off the roost than I care to mention. I think my hearing is not what it used to be and its harder to pinpoint exactly where they are.
Gary Bartlow

ol bob

That I've got to old to do it anymore hunt one day takes three days to get over it.

AndyN

That I'll never chase easterns again after moving to KS from IA. Rios are a walk in the park compared to those birds.

Greg Massey

Just because you run around in the woods with hundred dollar calls and some costing more ...doesn't mean your going too kill turkeys... i found that out years ago... sound in the box or the pot... helps a lot....

guesswho

I learned that the turkey hunting I grew up with is quickly fading into the past.    Also learned not all gobblers are straight.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Tagging out 10 days in the season sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rapscallion Vermilion

I learned that I haven't given myself enough credit for how good I can be at outsmarting myself.

I also learned that just because you are watching a squirrel on the ground next to your leg doesn't mean his buddy isn't about to jump on your shoulder.

guesswho

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 22, 2018, 07:08:26 PM
I also learned that just because you are watching a squirrel on the ground next to your leg doesn't mean his buddy isn't about to jump on your shoulder.
The end result could be a good locator call.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Kylongspur88

Takeaway this year was just because you had a lot of turkeys last year doesn't mean you'll have a lot the next year. The population can take a nose dive quick.

Happy

I learned I can still loose stuff pretty well. Also hills don't get any easier as I get older and was reminded to not over think it. Lastly I have unfinished business next spring.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

jed clampett

I had my best season in a long time...tagged 3 birds and hunted 3 days...here in illinois..no birds here last year this year they were all over...you just never know!

Tomfoolery

I need a chiropractor as a hunting partner

Yoder409

Quote from: jed clampett on May 22, 2018, 08:31:22 PM
I had my best season in a long time...

So did I................

I learned that you really CAN cyber-scout your way to success.

I also reaffirmed that my forums signature line is 100% true.  Sometimes I just have to test my patience WAITING for that time and day.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

CALLM2U

I learned several things:

1 - In the future, I will use more PTO chasing Spring Gobblers than October Whitetails
2 - Sneezing can shock a gobbler into gobbling.
3 - The streak of being unable to kill a gobbler that you have to back away from when you locate him will likely never be broken.
4 - I'll always still chase gobblers that I have no chance of killing.

stinkpickle

I don't know.  I feel dumber every year.