OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why the heck would you use a 20g for turkeys?

Started by 2eagles, May 13, 2018, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

Wow guys! I would have never thought this thread would receive so much attention. Yes I am planning a turkey specific shotgun for next year and from all the chatter hear, I'm thinking it will be a 20. My biggest concern is the backward state of Iowa where only legal shot is 4,5,6,71/2 and 8. No 7's or 9's and technically that could get a hunter a ticket. That means some of the new loads maybe should be avoided. Rumor has it that is something the DNR is going to work on this year though.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: the Ward on May 19, 2018, 10:49:29 AM
If I was starting from scratch, I would be tempted to put together a 20 for turkey. I've got a lifetime supply of 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads and chokes, and 3 excellent turkey guns in those gauges, so I don't want or need to start over. I have been keeping an eye out though for a nice old savage double 20, so you never know. If I could swing it, I would have a new sweet 16 a5 browning and reload some hevi 7s for it. That would be one of my dream guns for turkey. I did buy a box of 20g longbeard 5s to try out of my little single shot stevens, but didn't have time to pattern before season.  Really curious as to how they will do!

I'm going to be trying to figure out a way to buy a 26" A5 16 in the next year or so

jryser

Quote from: BrowningGuy88 on May 19, 2018, 02:10:36 PM
If I was starting from scratch, I would be tempted to put together a 20 for turkey. I've got a lifetime supply of 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads and chokes, and 3 excellent turkey guns in those gauges, so I don't want or need to start over. I have been keeping an eye out though for a nice old savage double 20, so you never know. If I could swing it, I would have a new sweet 16 a5 browning and reload some hevi 7s for it. That would be one of my dream guns for turkey. I did buy a box of 20g longbeard 5s to try out of my little single shot stevens, but didn't have time to pattern before season.  Really curious as to how they will do!

I'm going to be trying to figure out a way to buy a 26" A5 16 in the next year or so
I had the best hunt with my Sweet 16 this year!  It's posted all over here so I hope you see it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on May 18, 2018, 04:28:00 PM
I believe you were a witness to my duck taken with a muzzleloader, if I am not mistaken.  We will not discuss the species however. 
Indeed I was!! :icon_thumright: In fact, I was already tagged out, and leaning against a tree behind you guys. Your muzzleloader roared and through the smoke cloud, a duck came flying through the air towards me. I reached out and caught the duck in my hand. I walked towards you while you were finishing reloading, and reached out to hand you your duck. When I relaxed my hand, the bird sprang into the air and tried to fly away. You were able to drop it with another shot. Darndest thing I ever saw. :lol: I'll never forget that hunt. Are you still hunting that flooded timber?

the Ward

I've been filling up my piggy bank as fast as I can!

the Ward

Quote from: jryser on May 19, 2018, 04:11:02 PM

I had the best hunt with my Sweet 16 this year!  It's posted all over here so I hope you see it!!

Awesome!

g8rvet

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 19, 2018, 05:06:49 PM
I believe you were a witness to my duck taken with a muzzleloader, if I am not mistaken.  We will not discuss the species however. 
Indeed I was!! :icon_thumright: In fact, I was already tagged out, and leaning against a tree behind you guys. Your muzzleloader roared and through the smoke cloud, a duck came flying through the air towards me. I reached out and caught the duck in my hand. I walked towards you while you were finishing reloading, and reached out to hand you your duck. When I relaxed my hand, the bird sprang into the air and tried to fly away. You were able to drop it with another shot. Darndest thing I ever saw. :lol: I'll never forget that hunt. Are you still hunting that flooded timber?
Unfortunately he sold it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Yoder409

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 14, 2018, 10:42:31 PM

So far this spring I've killed 2 longbeards with a 3 1/2" SX2 and 2 longbeards with a 3 inch 20 gauge single

Make that 3 with a 20 gauge single.      :D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on May 14, 2018, 06:48:42 PM
I almost forgot my last reason.
8. Because Chuck Norris wouldn't be caught holding a 20 gauge.

If Chuck Norris had watched any one of the 3 longbeards I shot with my 20 this spring get hit, he'd go "Dude............. !!!!!! "

:D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dr Juice

Quote from: deerpoo22 on May 14, 2018, 03:10:30 PM
Like most have said with the advent of Hevi-shot and even more so TSS 20 has become every bit as lethal as a 12 with much lighter weight. Not for me tho. I still anxiously await the arrival of 8 gauge 4 inch shells with 3 1/4 oz of TSS ;D
Nice

IAGobbler87

The first season I used a 20 on turkeys was because of having my right shoulder done(labrum). I was awfully sensitive to recoil that turkey and duck season.  Now, on my 3rd year with a 20, it's because I can and it works. I've shot them from 8 steps to 39 steps away, and it was very decisive on every bird. The HW #7's are no joke.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on May 20, 2018, 06:34:52 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 19, 2018, 05:06:49 PM
Unfortunately he sold it.
That's a bummer. That was a great place.

jryser

Here's why!

Just go to the end of the video!

https://youtu.be/gweMpcz9nik

DeWayne Knight

Quote from: 2eagles on May 19, 2018, 01:29:47 PM
Wow guys! I would have never thought this thread would receive so much attention. Yes I am planning a turkey specific shotgun for next year and from all the chatter hear, I'm thinking it will be a 20. My biggest concern is the backward state of Iowa where only legal shot is 4,5,6,71/2 and 8. No 7's or 9's and technically that could get a hunter a ticket. That means some of the new loads maybe should be avoided. Rumor has it that is something the DNR is going to work on this year though.

I bought some Apex TSS #8s from Mack's Prairie Wings for my 20 ga. 11-87.  Looking forward to killing a few turkeys with the combination next year...

Gobble!

Quote from: jryser on May 30, 2018, 07:11:40 PM
Here's why!

Just go to the end of the video!

https://youtu.be/gweMpcz9nik

You get to hunt with them famous boys! Really enjoyed your episode this season. Congrats.