turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

? about today's hunt

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 09, 2018, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Yesterday, I heard 2 birds gobble back in the timber and then a few times on the ground.  I knew where they were and how to get there.  This morning it was raining lightly and I was able to sneak in to 100-150 yards of the birds.  They were 100 yards apart with the bird on the left gobbling the most.  10-15 times on the limb.  Before fly down, I yelped real soft and he responded then I saw him fly down 100 yards in front of me towards the 2nd tom.  I soft called again and got ready...Nothing.  I sat there for 50 more minutes and never heard a sound.  I had to slide out for work and as I did busted 4 birds off the limb at 7:10.  I think they were all hens and they were behind me the entire time. 

My question is, why wouldn't he gobble again on the ground or swing by to take a peak?  I don't believe they had hens with them.  I think they hit the ground and walked away.  How do I kill one other than dumb luck of having him walk by without calling?

On a positive, I did hear another tom out on the field gobbling an hour after fly down.  I'm thinking he is the boss tom. 

Would you keep trying to work the pair, or move 400-500 yards to the open field and try getting on the single tom that gobbled a few times at 6:30?

Happy

Could be that they are sub toms that are scared of the big boy and dot want to get caught with his hens. Since you were already between them and it didn't pan out I would try getting in tight off to the side away from where you suspect big boy to be hanging out

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wisconsinteacher

Thanks for the tip.  There was one other bird that gobbled and he was 400 yards away and went to the field which is on the other side of the creek bottom.  What ever has them scared, I would like to meet up with at 30 yards!!!

lil foot

if the toms knew the hens were there and the hens weren't vocal and hadn't flown down that could have made them alerted to an issue (you) and they chose to go the other way. just a thought.

1iagobblergetter

I think hes the sub dominant and just headed out to the strut zone where they are all use to meeting up at. Id try getting between that and them.
If your able maybe try hunting them after the hens go off to nest if early morning isn't working out.

wisconsinteacher

Will birds like this eventually gobble and make a mistake or am I wasting my time trying to figure them out?

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 09, 2018, 04:02:14 PM
Will birds like this eventually gobble and make a mistake or am I wasting my time trying to figure them out?
Sounds like they don't want to play the game the way you want to play it. I wouldn't give up on them.I would simply change the way (legally of course)  i was playing the game.

Happy

Another thing. I would bet they are brothers and travel pretty close together. Your either going to call them both in or neither of them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

yelpy

I'd be after the single bird.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

wisconsinteacher

I wasn't able to get out this morning, but plan on sitting near the roost tonight and making a plan for the morning.  My plan is to call very soft every 10-15 minutes and relax after a long day at work. 

wisconsinteacher

I slipped in last night near the roost and at 8:00 two toms came in off my right shoulder.  I got turned and fired but missed due to the thick brush.  The birds split up at that point and I got out of there.  This morning, I set up where I figured I would be between them and at day break had a hen 30-40 yards away and the toms gobbling on each side of me.  The one I shot at only gobbled one time and the other one gobbled 5-8 times.  At 5:50, the hen flew down and as I was watching her, I saw a red head and then a full tail fan coming up the path.  When he got to 32 yards, I let the 20ga do its work!!!  I didn't even have to hustle to make it to work on time!! 

Soft calling did the trick on both hunts.

RailRoader

Spring Creek Calls

Way to go,  your patience paid off. Pictures?
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

lil foot

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.