Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Gonna do my best to get pics of her.......has anyone else seen an albino hen

Started by Coroner01, May 09, 2018, 10:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coroner01

I am bringing my camera home from work to attempt to get pics of this gorgeous black and mostly white wild hen turkey.   She is a looker......sure odd to see one in the flock.  She may be a dry hen because according to the farmer, she wanders his land with two mature gobblers that must be twins all day, never goes to nest.  Pics as soon as I can get them this weekend.  Would love to see if anyone has one on film.   Al

CALLM2U

I'd love to see the pics.  I've only seen one in my life and it was during Spring.  Gorgeous bird though.

1iagobblergetter

Ive only ever seen hens that were a smokey gray color in the wild. 

Happy

Yes, we had two on our hunt club in Wv a few years back. Only saw them once though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Swenny

I'd love to see a pic of her.  Getting a smokey-gray phase gobbler is a dream of mine. . . sort of my white whale I guess, lol.

Call me Ahab.

Tail Feathers

Where I hunt, we've had two different hens that were half white.  One was white on the back half and reddish colored on the front half.  I saw her a few times, she lived at least three years I know of.  But never any phase-colored toms at all.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

roverboy

Listen for the gobble

spaightlabs

if she is black and mostly white she isn't albino.  Albinism is absolute, they either are or aren't.  She may be leucistic, and you may be surprised but she may be a domestic cross.

We were out in the middle of the sandhills of Neb a few years ago, miles from any farms.  Found one white tom running around with a flock of birds.  Talked to an NGPC popple cop we bumped into and he said he had been trying to cull that bird all season as it was an escaped domestic.   Told us if we killed it we didn't need to tag it, we'd be doing the wild population a service and it was a domestic or domestic cross and they wanted it gone and not mixing with the breeding population.

Kylongspur88

Possibly one a long time ago. Glassing a power cut and saw a white bird in a group. May have been an escapee from a nearby farm though.

J-Shaped

Have seen a few hens over the years that were predominately white. Had a close encounter with a smoke phase hen earlier this season. Had one white hen on a lease I used to be part of that we saw several times over the course of a 2-3 year timespan, both spring and fall. Always neat to see birds of any unique color phase.

RED NECK

This girl used to roam my land for 4 or so years.From 2012-2016,this is a picture of her about 5 feet outside my camp,I took picture sitting at my table having something to eat.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I have seen quite a few over the years. I will post a pic  if I can find it.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Here is one. The first I ever saw I was videoing. In the spring they always seem to have gobs with them.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Zeke6685

Saw an albino jake years ago just down the road from the where I hunt, that was in the fall. A guy got him the next spring when he was a 2 year old.