turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Almost stepped on this newborn fawn

Started by Sixes, May 08, 2018, 01:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

Headed in this AM with my Dad and had a doe blowing in front of me. Flipped on my flashlight and took a few steps and this little one was laying in the road. It had it's head pressed against the ground and was barely breathing. Took a few seconds to realize it was alive.

fawn3 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

tomstopper

Good thing you didn't step on it... Where I used to hunt in PA, the farmer there used to get physically upset if he hit them while mowing hay. It's not a pretty sight and after witnessing it first hand, I could see why he got upset

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

dublelung

That's a cool pic! Mother Nature built them to hide from predators but they're no match for those farm implements.

Sir-diealot

Another gift from God. Love it when he lets me see new stuff like that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

howl

1iagobblergetter

That's neat....I bet the coyotes are a lot harder on them than farm machinery.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 08, 2018, 10:03:34 PM
I don't.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 08, 2018, 11:05:19 PM
I don't.
Coyotes hunting them relentlessly verses farm machinery I'll guarantee it. Coyotes can hunt them anywhere and for a purpose. Machinery is an occasional mishap over a limited area. Our DNR dug up several dens and one had over 20 fawn skulls in it. My  Grandfather,Dad,and Brother has farmed most of their lives and haven't killed that many altogher with equipment. That's even with raising cattle and mowing a lot of hay in thick deer country.

dublelung

I trap coyotes and get rid of them. People get pissed when I burn their farm implements.  :TrainWreck1:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 08, 2018, 11:43:11 PM
I don't.
Coyotes hunting them relentlessly verses farm machinery I'll guarantee it. Coyotes can hunt them anywhere and for a purpose. Machinery is an occasional mishap over a limited area. Our DNR dug up several dens and one had over 20 fawn skulls in it. My  Grandfather,Dad,and Brother has farmed most of their lives and haven't killed that many altogher with equipment. That's even with raising cattle and mowing a lot of hay in thick deer country.
As far as your grandfather goes I think I would leave him out of the equation, maybe your father as well depending on age. Modern equipment (That I am guessing your grandfather and maybe your father again depending on his age did not have) destroys so much in it's path, also moves faster than old equipment. That is one of the reasons you see decline in animals, the equipment just works to good these days at lets just say pulling corn off, in the old days more would fall to the ground or not be cut and there would be stuff still on stalks or on the ground for the critters to eat. This is the same for all farm equipment. You take that and add it to ones that get run over and maybe cut up and then you have far more dying from those injuries and from lack of food that they had years ago when the equipment was not as good. No insult intended to anybody in your family at all and I hope it was not taken as such. Time for bed.

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 08, 2018, 11:57:01 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 08, 2018, 11:43:11 PM
I don't.
As far as your grandfather goes I think I would leave him out of the equation, maybe your father as well depending on age. Modern equipment (That I am guessing your grandfather and maybe your father again depending on his age did not have) destroys so much in it's path, also moves faster than old equipment. That is one of the reasons you see decline in animals, the equipment just works to good these days at lets just say pulling corn off, in the old days more would fall to the ground or not be cut and there would be stuff still on stalks or on the ground for the critters to eat. This is the same for all farm equipment. You take that and add it to ones that get run over and maybe cut up and then you have far more dying from those injuries and from lack of food that they had years ago when the equipment was not as good. No insult intended to anybody in your family at all and I hope it was not taken as such. Time for bed.
Were Good. You have your opinion and I'll stick behind mine along with every farmer in my area.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: dublelung on May 08, 2018, 11:55:06 PM

I trap coyotes and get rid of them. People get pissed when I burn their farm implements.  :TrainWreck1:
They'd Just call the law or shoot and ask questions later around here. I'd probably go with the last one though.. :TooFunny:

chadly

Thanks for sharing the picture.  I've only seen one like that.  I was pulling ribbon from trees after a hare scramble race.  It was laying literally 10 feet from where 100's of motorcycles had raced by repeatedly the last 8 hours. They lay flat and dont move.  Must have been a stressful day for it.   

kdfester

PA Game Commission says bears are the hardest on newborn fawn due to their incredible nose.  Maybe the only propaganda I believe from them.

tomstopper

Quote from: kdfester on May 09, 2018, 09:17:13 AM
PA Game Commission says bears are the hardest on newborn fawn due to their incredible nose.  Maybe the only propaganda I believe from them.
I have heard this before as well

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk