OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just back from SD. What a week!! PICS ADDED

Started by sugarray, April 22, 2011, 08:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

We had a great time.  Met some good folks and spent the week with awesome men and turkey hunters.

We left at 730 PM Friday 4/15 and arrived about 730 PM Saturday 4/16.  It was a LONG drive.  Right out to roost and found 3 gobblers with at least 2 hens.  Went back and set up the next morning.  They started gobbling at 530 am.  Flew down and went up the hill, which was strange to us.  We moved on them twice.  The second time my buddy was using his box and he made a boss hen made and she came, bringing the big boys in tow.  There were 3 and we hoped for a triple, but it didn't work out.  She worked behind a little knoll and popped up at 40 yds.  The first strutter, mine, was behind her and all I could see was the top of her head.  My buddy to my left was on another and he fired as they were getting ready to leave, I fired a half sec later.  We ran up to find my bird still up and moving to my right, I paralled him and had to shoot 3 more times before I finally go him.  Funny thing, the birds never ran or flew.  Just fast walked away.  That was my only one.  My buddy tracked his bird with a lot of blood, but couldn't even find it, even with snow on the ground.  We were really bummed, but we put the effort in to find him.

That afternoon was horrible.  We had a lot of trouble just finding trees for them to roost in.  Finally found a flock of 25 or so and went back to roost them only to have the "land owner" tell us we couldn't hunt.  This is strange because we were hunting on an indian reservation that showed we could hunt all that land.  We were really down after that.  On Monday, we put in over 200 miles driving trying to follow the map, find trees and birds.  Finally about 4 pm we found a big flock of about 30 and put them to bed.  It snowed all night and we had 4 in of new snow in the morning.  Wind blowing and snowing and we set up in the blind and called and had 3 answer on the roost.  It was about 30 min before 5 jakes and a strutter came in.  He did the spankin' it dance then my buddy smoked him at about 20 yds.

We left to get a nap, but had 2 trucks come by and we worried be would lose our spot, so we went back, and sure enough that is where they were going.  We went right back to the blind and had jakes and hens calling all around.  About 2 pm, 2 hens finally came in and we saw 2 strutters.  As they came in, it turned out to be 3.  So, our plan was to take all 3.  I had the one in the middle.  So finally we shoot and only 1 bird goes down, they one in the middle.  The one in the back stands there and my other buddy shot him.   I think I got mine, and we walk out there and we all 3 claim the middle turkey.  My buddy to my right had to reposition his gun and lost sight of the first turkey and moved to the middle thinking it was in the lead.  My buddy to my left, well, don't really know how he lost sight of his turkey.  So, we all got 1 a piece.

Went back out Wednesday, only to have them skirt us all day.  They were not responsive to calling and were flocked up bad.  The weather was horrible with 8 in of new snow Wed morning.  It did warm up and the sun was out all day Wed, I got a sun burn on my face around my eyes, that was awesome.  Wind and rain on Thursday so we packed up a left.  All in all considering the weather, it was a great hunt.  Now that we have a better idea, we'll likely go back.

The turkeys were Merriams, but the white buffs were not as long as I thought they should be and more brown than I would have thought as well.  I really think calling them Merriams is a stretch and think they are a hybrid of Eastern and Merriam.  But, the NWTF calls them Merriams, so now I have an Eastern, Osceola, and Merriam.  Next up a Rio.  This is only my 3rd year hunting.

Season opens Monday 4/25 here in WV and my son is really excited.  We are going to get him a bird!!!

OLE RASPY

You know what they say about no pics right. ;D
Sounds like a good hunt.

TRKYHTR

Sounds like a good hunt. Somebody needs to pattern their guns. Where are the pics. We got to have pics to enjoy your hunt. Congrats on your Merriam. Them Merriams are easy, at least thats what everybody says.lol

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

renegade19

Congrats.  Good luck with your son's bird and on that Rio!!!

cannonball

Congrats and good luck with the next hunt! :z-guntootsmiley:

sugarray

Here are the pics.  First is all 3 birds with my buddies Mitchell on left and Kent on right.  Then some misc. pics I took.  We were not pic taking folks, just the necessary ones.

Hognutz

Congrats on the birds, Ray. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. Good luck with the W.V hunt, with your son and all..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

mossy835

Ray nice pictures and great story to boot. Sounds like you had a great trip and a good time.

Old Gobbler

Great story and pictures !!!!

Look at that snow !!!!! I'm headed up there soon sure hope it warms up !!! , if it doesn't thats fine Ive never seen snow before -Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

earlybird

Way to go Ray,bet you didn't think you see that much snow after you left WV.

pullit

I have pheasant hunted out there in SD, and will have to say in some areas a dog could be hard pressed to find a tree....
Congrats on the hunt. The snow adds to the hunt for sure.

I am headed to MT next month to try for my Merriam

woodchip

Glad you guys got some birds!!  Couple more weeks and I am headed to KS for some RIOs!

blackswamp

Life is hard, its even harder when you're stupid!- JOHN WAYNE