OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Interesting morning..

Started by Happy, May 03, 2018, 08:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Was sneaking through the woods this morning trying to find a willing gobbler and came across a black bear just loafing under a pine. Course I put a stalk on and got to about 40 yards before the wind swirled and it caught my scent and woofed . That sent two cubs that were napping behind her scurrying up the tree.
I didn't want to push my luck so I snapped a quick picture before backing off. Cute little things.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

stinkpickle

Roosting bears isn't part of the game.

Happy

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 03, 2018, 08:55:06 PM
Roosting bears isn't part of the game.
Hey man, gotta work with what you got.

1iagobblergetter

If I tried that the picture would have been from up in the tree..

yelpy

That's awsome! I followed a hen along the edge of an old logging road this morning. I stayed about 100yrds behind her. Followed her a few hundred yards to the end of the road where I was able to get about 40 yards or so from her. Never spooked her. She was just feeding along the road going about her day.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Don't ya just hate that tingly feeling when you see the cubs? LOL... Cool pic / encounter!

Marc

Very cool experience...

I think I have to be the only one feeling like I am playing one of those hidden picture games...  I cannot see any bears in the picture (although it looks like the photo might be cut off on my computer)????
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Happy

Marc, very center of the picture. The black blob slightly bigger than a housecat. Used my cellphone so quality is not the best

Bowguy

You can come here and have all the interesting mornings you want. They're a real nuisance.
In my old house you keep the garbage secure til you heard the pickup truck rumbling. Than you bring the garbage out with the guys doors away. If you didn't guard garbage they'd beat the men to it.
You'd change your oil and see paws pass you just off the driveway, you'd go into a set and they blow at you walking in,  in the dark.
There's too many, come take some please!!

Happy

Quote from: Bowguy on May 04, 2018, 11:32:25 AM
You can come here and have all the interesting mornings you want. They're a real nuisance.
In my old house you keep the garbage secure til you heard the pickup truck rumbling. Than you bring the garbage out with the guys doors away. If you didn't guard garbage they'd beat the men to it.
You'd change your oil and see paws pass you just off the driveway, you'd go into a set and they blow at you walking in,  in the dark.
I have never wanted to kill a bear. However in areas they are not allowed to be hunted they become quite brazen. We had that issue in MD until they started a lottery season for them. That changed those smug buggers attitudes a bit.

Twowithone

Awesome pic thx for sharing.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Bowguy

Quote from: Happy on May 04, 2018, 12:57:21 PM
I have never wanted to kill a bear. However in areas they are not allowed to be hunted they become quite brazen. We had that issue in MD until they started a lottery season for them. That changed those smug buggers attitudes a bit.
We didn't have a hunt since like the 60s-70s something like that. The fish and game fought for one, in my area it was over 50 house breaks ins a year by bears. Not your shed the house. One guy was eaten even hiking one town from me.
They are fun to hunt and they do become brazen when not. The new liberal governor thinks he has some mighty powers that tell him there's another way. We've tried it all. Hunting is necessary. These things are too out of hand.
Last year was our first bowhunt and prob the last hunt for a bit unfortunately.
There's days I've seen 13 dif bears in one sit. You come home from work they're in the trees above you eating berries, some grab dogs.
I ain't afraid of them. They're only black bears and I was married to a grizzly. Kids were little I called em cubs lol

Marc

Quote from: Happy on May 04, 2018, 10:50:45 AM
Marc, very center of the picture. The black blob slightly bigger than a housecat. Used my cellphone so quality is not the best
Thanks...  Felt like I was playing "Where's Waldo..."

One of the most enjoyable aspects of turkey hunting for me, is the "bonus" wildlife I see and hear...  Although, admittedly, if I never see a bear again while hunting or fishing, it would not bother me...

As you said, in areas where they cannot be hunted, they are a bit brazen, and can be a bit overly "comfortable" around people.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

renegade19

I was amazed one time when I read that New Jersey had the worst nuisance bear issues in the country. 

Bowguy

Quote from: renegade19 on May 05, 2018, 09:39:06 AM

I was amazed one time when I read that New Jersey had the worst nuisance bear issues in the country.
From what I understand the area I live has one of the highest concentrations in the world. They're everywhere