OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 ga Ammo

Started by zelmo1, May 03, 2018, 01:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

My first year using a 20 ga on turkeys. I have to give Federal 3rd degree a 2 thumbs up. I have to use it in Maine so my wife used it in NH today. Two devastating kills. The only pellets left in the bird were the #6 black cloud style pellets with the ring on them. Al Baker

Marc

Glad you have had good patterns and good success...

Frankly, I think almost any load out there (including a standard pheasant load) will consistently kill birds in good range with a relatively tight choke.  At 35 yards or less, just about any load properly choked load will be "devastating" to a turkey if you hit them. 

Some things to consider for others looking into a good 20 gauge load (from my experience).

The flight control wads can create some funky issues with patterning, as can the flight-stopper pellets (at least with steel loads).

My preference would be a standard Hevi-shot or TSS load with a standard wad and a tight choke (probably standard full choke in my 20 gauge).

Before lead was illegal in my state, I had very nice patterns with Fiocchi Golden pheasant 1 1/4 oz loads of nickle-plated #6's...  Very  adequate patterns out to 40 yards with a standard full choke in my Beretta.

And remember, if you are shooting a 20 ga. for less recoil, those hot 20 ga. loads can have more punch than a 12 ga. load due to the weight of the gun being lighter...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.