turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Picky Tom

Started by zelmo1, May 02, 2018, 04:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Ok, I love my pot calls but usually finish with a mouth call for obvious reasons. I had the same bird do this twice today, coming then leaving, then coming back and going back the same direction. He would only gobble on my pot call, not the diaphragm. He was hot, come 300 plus yards both times. Then he skirted me at 100 yards twice. I think my hunting partner needs to take a stand on him. What say you, I value your guys input

Marc

I've had birds that either liked a call, or would not finish on the mouth call...  Maybe it is due to being a different sound, or maybe it is due to my friction calls sounding better or more realistic...  But if I am hunting such a bird, I will finish on the call I started with. 

I would set up some brush to hide my calling, and if I have to, pick up the gun to shoot him...  I would rather have a bird in range that I have to move the gun to, rather than have my gun on a bird out of range I cannot bring in.

I absolute hate sitting with my gun resting on my knee...  I have had my gun down on a number of birds I have taken home, and can only think of one occasion (where the bird was not behind me) when I tried to mount my gun to a bird that moved off too fast to shoot...

And...  Due to other posts on this forum, I would not be afraid to stand up on a bird to shoot him either...  I believe I have missed a number of opportunities in which all I had to do was to stand up to shoot, but I was too afraid of scaring the bird off before I could fire accurately.

This year, two of my three birds, I had to make a drastic gun movement to the bird to shoot...   Such types of shots are almost more like wing-shooting to me, which is one reason I am reticent to put optics on my shotgun.

I do know one thing, if what I am doing is not working, eventually I will try something else...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.