Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gas prices are going to make me bankrupt!

Started by turkey_slayer, April 22, 2011, 02:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

Gas prices are killing all of us and I don't see it getting any better....

Signed,

your broke friend

spitndrum

I drive a 2000 Chevy Z71 with 285s on it $3.60 avg? but my lease is 20 minutes from my house so a $20 bill gets me there and back! And my buddy is on the same lease and we take turns driving! But ya my buddies in middle TN I always enjoy hunting with but gas has got me thinking about the trip this year. I might get to slip up there!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 22, 2011, 02:33:59 PM
Its 52 miles to work round trip. So 260 miles a week to go to work.  I will keep track of my mpg and mileage driven next week.

do you keep those receipts and claim that as a work expense on your taxes? itd be a good idea
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

new2turkey

Quote from: 30_06 on April 22, 2011, 04:40:57 PM
It is at times like these I am happy that I hunt out of a '05 Neon that gets 30mpg......its the other times when I cant get into places that it ticks me off.

Oh noo, not a pee-on  :goofball:

oatsj

Retired and gas prices are killing me lets all vote for Obama so we can keep on buying high gas. :goofball: :goofball:

doepee

I live in central Illinois, gas today went up to 3.97 in town and 4.06 by the highway I55. That is for the cheap regular stuff if you want to call it that...I only drive  13 miles round trip to hunt and about 60 miles a week to work. But I drive a z71   :'(

30_06

Quote from: new2turkey on April 22, 2011, 06:54:57 PMOh noo, not a pee-on  :goofball:

LOL its so low to the ground if you pee on a dirt road you might not make it across the puddle! ;D

new2turkey

Quote from: 30_06 on April 22, 2011, 09:03:34 PM
Quote from: new2turkey on April 22, 2011, 06:54:57 PMOh noo, not a pee-on  :goofball:

LOL its so low to the ground if you pee on a dirt road you might not make it across the puddle! ;D

Lol I feel your pain... I drive a chevy impala, the longer body, and those things are so hard to maneuver... Coming out of most high driveways my front end scrapes because the front lip extends so far from the body.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Beretta686 on April 22, 2011, 03:28:09 PM
I replaced my stock tires with 285/18's last year. I never got such bad mileage. Couldn't get them off fast enough. Went with 275/18's and got my mileage back....

Did you have your speedometer adjusted?  Running larger diameter tires will make it read slow and your mileage will appear worse, but actual mileage might not have changed. 

Reloader

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 22, 2011, 03:02:24 PM
Quote from: Reloader on April 22, 2011, 02:53:36 PM
It is getting alittle pricey.  I made the mistake of going to ATs when I wore out my stock tires and dropped to 15mpg from 17-17.5(GMC 4x4 5.3L).  150 mile round trip to the camp and I'm only getting around 13-14 when hunting. Fun fun.

Ronnie I'm running AT's as well.  Thats what came on it and its what I've always put back.  When it was new I was getting about 21-22.  Now with all gas stations here selling 10% ethanol I have dropped to 17-18.  I wish I could switch to Highway tread but most of my places require 4x4 to get to if its the least bit wet.

Mine came with the 20" aluminum wheels and 275/55/20 GY LS2 street treads.  I put 80K on those tires, but bumble bee spit on green grass would call for 4x4.  I pulled them and put some Cooper Zeon LTZ ATs of the same size on her and the mileage went down the tubes.  15mpg HWY is a bummer with today's prices.  I put around 25k+ on one every year, so it would probably be worth it to chunk the new tires and go back to a less aggressive tread. I'd prob save the cost of a new set of tires in less than a year.

Talked to someone that had Pirelli ATs of the same size and he said his mileage was good, but the tires did look like street treads.  The LTZs are darn near like mud grips.   I used to get 18-19 on trips with the LS2s and even logged 21-23 on a trip to WY.  This year I never broke over 16.9 and mostly around 16 on my hunting trips.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Reloader on April 25, 2011, 11:53:42 AM
It is getting alittle pricey.  I made the mistake of going to ATs when I wore out my stock tires and dropped to 15mpg from 17-17.5(GMC 4x4 5.3L).  150 mile round trip to the camp and I'm only getting around 13-14 when hunting. Fun fun.

Ronnie I'm running AT's as well.  Thats what came on it and its what I've always put back.  When it was new I was getting about 21-22.  Now with all gas stations here selling 10% ethanol I have dropped to 17-18.  I wish I could switch to Highway tread but most of my places require 4x4 to get to if its the least bit wet.

Mine came with the 20" aluminum wheels and 275/55/20 GY LS2 street treads.  I put 80K on those tires, but bumble bee spit on green grass would call for 4x4.  I pulled them and put some Cooper Zeon LTZ ATs of the same size on her and the mileage went down the tubes.  15mpg HWY is a bummer with today's prices.  I put around 25k+ on one every year, so it would probably be worth it to chunk the new tires and go back to a less aggressive tread. I'd prob save the cost of a new set of tires in less than a year.

Talked to someone that had Pirelli ATs of the same size and he said his mileage was good, but the tires did look like street treads.  The LTZs are darn near like mud grips.   I used to get 18-19 on trips with the LS2s and even logged 21-23 on a trip to WY.  This year I never broke over 16.9 and mostly around 16 on my hunting trips.

I average just a little more than 25,000 a year like you.  My last set were the  pirelli scorpion ATRs.  They did decent.  Decent traction but mine wore fast and sometimes I would have to put in 4x4 in a dry field if it was a slight incline.  The BF AT's that came stock were shot within 30,000 miles

rev

Just hit the big $4.18 today here in good old Indianapolis, once it hits $5.00 a gallon everybody will become a republican

stinkpickle

Quote from: Reloader on April 25, 2011, 11:53:42 AM

The key to getting decent mileage out of an aggressive tire is run the tire pressure as close to max PSI as possible, without causing too much wheel hop.  Light truck tires, especially the D and E range tires, can run max PSI up to 65-80lbs.  Running them below 40 will add a lot of rolling resistance and chew into your mileage.  I'm running 285/75/16's Nitto Terra Grappler E's on a 1/2-ton Silverado...not ideal, I know, but I'm running 55 PSI in the front and 45 PSI in the back, and I'm getting 18-19MPG (adjusted) on the highway.  Any more pressure in the rear, and she gets a little scary with the bunny hops on rough pavement.  Taking them down to 40 PSI yields only about 15-16 MPG.

boggszilla

I have an all wheel drive tahoe,i went from indy to KY and back on $230.our spots were only 4 miles from the house,not to bad..i'll take my 4 banger ranger from now on...i'm over the gas prices!!!

woodsman1977

It is $4.19 a gallon here in Michigan, and I drive a 1500 ram getting 15mpg (with a good tailwind) and I have to drive 40 miles one way to work (South) and 35 miles (North) to my main hunting land..... It's tough to complain here in Michigan though, I am thankful everyday to be working for a solid company when so many others have lost theirs.