OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gas prices are going to make me bankrupt!

Started by turkey_slayer, April 22, 2011, 02:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB on the run

$4.05 for 87 octane here today.  If the trend continues it will be $4.07 tomorrow.  I drive an '04 Chevy Silverado 4X4 5.3l v8.  I'm back up to about 17 mpg after I dumped the M+S tires and want back to a HT(both same size).  I also run synthetic oil and a K&N air filter.  I have got up to 19.5 mpg straight thurway during the summer months.
  The extras are starting to go as I haven't had a contract or raise since 4/1/05 but still I'm happy to be working and have health care benefits.
  I going to have to combine hunting days or carpool for turkey season.  My property is 133 miles round trip.

CB

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

lightsoutcalls

I'm still trying to decide if I can justify spending the extra money for a KS trip in a couple of weeks.  It is about 7 hours each way with a $120 out of state tag.  I have filled 2 tags there for the last 2 years and have a number of private properties to hunt... just haven't decided if I can afford the trip... man that hurts...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mnturkey

I am a little worried, I leave next Monday to go for a week vacation turkey Hunting and will bring my Travel Trailer along. I have a Ford F250 with a V10 and the milage sucks but I can pass others going up hills.
I just figure that is the cost to hunt and keep the wife happy.
Gas is in the $3.95 range here.
SEMPER FI

Reloader

Haven't thought about that Stink.  I was running 30 in the LS2s and getting good mileage, usually 17-17.5 for daily running.  I'm running 36 in the LTZs.  I may run them up to 40-42 and see how it rides.  I know the LS2s rode much better at 30 than they did at 35.  The LTZs seemed fine at 36, so I left it be. 

HARDCORE

5,970.4 miles driven and just under 420 gallons of diesel burned since March 15th and we ain't done yet.

My wife just about had a cow when March's gas bill came.........she's definitely not gonna like this months.

Fuel always seems to go up around this time every year, $4.00 a gallon SUCKS!

HC

Reloader

Quote from: Hardcore on April 26, 2011, 12:54:00 PM
5,970.4 miles driven and just under 420 gallons of diesel burned since March 15th and we ain't done yet.

My wife just about had a cow when March's gas bill came.........she's definitely not gonna like this months.

Fuel always seems to go up around this time every year, $4.00 a gallon SUCKS!

HC
\

That's the very reason I sold my Diesel.  I loved it, but don't haul often enough to justify paying another 40 cents a gallon for fuel.

jperrotti

And to think diesel used to be cheaper...
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

Reloader

Quote from: jperrotti on April 26, 2011, 01:40:27 PM
And to think diesel used to be cheaper...

Yep, a byproduct of gasoline that has somehow become laced with gold since '06

I bought an '05 Dodge 4x4 crew cab with the Cummins and the thing was a beast. For several months I was able to buy diesel for less than gas just as it had been in the past, then they apparently decided gold was a good additive for diesel.  When it passed gasoline and hit $4/gal in '07, I traded. 

K-ZONE

It's killin me $400+ a month in my 07 silverado just for work no play.

if they really want to flush the economy into the cespool ...higher fuel prices will definitly send it to the bottem.

lmbhngr

If the president read this he would tell you to buy Chevy Volt!! After all GE needs the money after all the taxes they pay :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

OntarioGobbler

I only wish!!!!!! We're an oil producing country and yet I am now paying $5.15 per Gallon!!!!!!

Yooper

Filled up this morning at $4.05.9 and two hours later the same station was up to $4.13.9  Not to worry... the Prez is aware of the problem.

Ky strutt n bust n

i feel you. we're paying between 3.79$ - 3.99$ a gal here in western ky. i drive a 4x4 chevy ext cab. horrible gas milage. on a good day 12.5 mpg. average 11-11.5. and its expecting to rise even more. with the floods here i can't hunt locally. i have to drive to higher ground which would be Land between the Lakes and to my hunting spot its roughly 50 mile trip there.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 25, 2011, 10:24:02 PM
Quote from: Reloader on April 25, 2011, 11:53:42 AM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 22, 2011, 03:02:24 PM
Quote from: Reloader on April 22, 2011, 02:53:36 PM
It is getting alittle pricey.  I made the mistake of going to ATs when I wore out my stock tires and dropped to 15mpg from 17-17.5(GMC 4x4 5.3L).  150 mile round trip to the camp and I'm only getting around 13-14 when hunting. Fun fun.

Ronnie I'm running AT's as well.  Thats what came on it and its what I've always put back.  When it was new I was getting about 21-22.  Now with all gas stations here selling 10% ethanol I have dropped to 17-18.  I wish I could switch to Highway tread but most of my places require 4x4 to get to if its the least bit wet.

Mine came with the 20" aluminum wheels and 275/55/20 GY LS2 street treads.  I put 80K on those tires, but bumble bee spit on green grass would call for 4x4.  I pulled them and put some Cooper Zeon LTZ ATs of the same size on her and the mileage went down the tubes.  15mpg HWY is a bummer with today's prices.  I put around 25k+ on one every year, so it would probably be worth it to chunk the new tires and go back to a less aggressive tread. I'd prob save the cost of a new set of tires in less than a year.

Talked to someone that had Pirelli ATs of the same size and he said his mileage was good, but the tires did look like street treads.  The LTZs are darn near like mud grips.   I used to get 18-19 on trips with the LS2s and even logged 21-23 on a trip to WY.  This year I never broke over 16.9 and mostly around 16 on my hunting trips.

The key to getting decent mileage out of an aggressive tire is run the tire pressure as close to max PSI as possible, without causing too much wheel hop.  Light truck tires, especially the D and E range tires, can run max PSI up to 65-80lbs.  Running them below 40 will add a lot of rolling resistance and chew into your mileage.  I'm running 285/75/16's Nitto Terra Grappler E's on a 1/2-ton Silverado...not ideal, I know, but I'm running 55 PSI in the front and 45 PSI in the back, and I'm getting 18-19MPG (adjusted) on the highway.  Any more pressure in the rear, and she gets a little scary with the bunny hops on rough pavement.  Taking them down to 40 PSI yields only about 15-16 MPG.
will the tire wear be uneven if you boost up the PSI like that?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon