OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gas prices are going to make me bankrupt!

Started by turkey_slayer, April 22, 2011, 02:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

I always keep my gas receipts so I went through them last night after I filled up.  I filled up the 14th, 18th, and 21st which is a 7 day period.  I spent $245!  Lets see. Theres 5 weeks of hunting so $245x5= $1225 just fuel not counting food.  It aint going to stop me cause I love it to much but no wonder I'm broke  :bike2:  Anybody else feeling the pinch?  I drive a 2005 V6 Tacoma so it isnt exactly a gas hog.

new2turkey

turkey_slayer

Quote from: new2turkey on April 22, 2011, 02:25:32 PM
what are you paying per gallon??

It is $3.88 where I fill up.  I drove 133 miles this morning round trip and its not my furtherest spot!  Theres a really good farm about a mile below my house that is loaded with birds.  Maybe next year I should just toss him $1500 and save me the drive and get more sleep  ;D

bowhunter84

i know the feeling. my z71 gets 12-14 MPG.

turkey_slayer

Its 52 miles to work round trip. So 260 miles a week to go to work.  I will keep track of my mpg and mileage driven next week.

new2turkey

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 22, 2011, 02:29:09 PM
Quote from: new2turkey on April 22, 2011, 02:25:32 PM
what are you paying per gallon??

It is $3.88 where I fill up.  I drove 133 miles this morning round trip and its not my furtherest spot!  Theres a really good farm about a mile below my house that is loaded with birds.  Maybe next year I should just toss him $1500 and save me the drive and get more sleep  ;D
Ouch... Payin 3.74 here, and my car gets 20+/-. I also drive a hell of alot less than you...

So far in Maine I haven't had any problems finding land to hunt on, alot isn't posted, and you don't need permission to hunt unposted land.

Reloader

It is getting alittle pricey.  I made the mistake of going to ATs when I wore out my stock tires and dropped to 15mpg from 17-17.5(GMC 4x4 5.3L).  150 mile round trip to the camp and I'm only getting around 13-14 when hunting. Fun fun.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Reloader on April 22, 2011, 02:53:36 PM
It is getting alittle pricey.  I made the mistake of going to ATs when I wore out my stock tires and dropped to 15mpg from 17-17.5(GMC 4x4 5.3L).  150 mile round trip to the camp and I'm only getting around 13-14 when hunting. Fun fun.

Ronnie I'm running AT's as well.  Thats what came on it and its what I've always put back.  When it was new I was getting about 21-22.  Now with all gas stations here selling 10% ethanol I have dropped to 17-18.  I wish I could switch to Highway tread but most of my places require 4x4 to get to if its the least bit wet.

Cove

My trip to south Florida totaled up 2440+/- miles and cost around $650-700 in diesel.

BrowningGuy88

Months that I do not go anywhere but to work, I spend $1k+ on fuel. If I hunt hard, add another $500 onto that. If the wife and I do a weekend away, add another $250 to that!

You just gotta love Chevy's!

Beretta686

I replaced my stock tires with 285/18's last year. I never got such bad mileage. Couldn't get them off fast enough. Went with 275/18's and got my mileage back.

I don't even think about towing the trailer with the buggy on it, mileage drops to 8-10 mpg

Heck I couldn't stand it and I own a gas station. I will drive 150 miles per day turkey hunting 6 days a week. Yes I am still paying for the gas, just off the bottom line, not directly out of my pocket.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Trevor2

Also running ATs on my f-150 5.4 thats y Im back to driving my little ugly as heck car, even turkey hunting lol just gotta get their earlier bc gotta walk farther but it saves on gas.
Strutstopper

pcgobbler

I hunted three days this weeks.  Its about 150 miles round trip.  It cost me roughly about $35 bucks a day for gas, plus drinks and snacks.  I have birds around my house but there are more people chasing them than there are turkeys, so I guess its worth the drive.  Me and a buddy have 1200 acres all to ourselves.  Not a ton of birds but you don't have to worry about other people.

30_06

It is at times like these I am happy that I hunt out of a '05 Neon that gets 30mpg......its the other times when I cant get into places that it ticks me off.

Limbstrutter

Well here in Ohio I gave 4.19 a gal yesterday and 70 dollars gave me around half a tank. I drive  a 2006 F250 power stroke and really my Fule mileage isn't to bad it's the 38  gallon Fule tank that gets in my pocket . I get around 650 miles per tank. I usually fill up every 2 weeks. It also helps all my hunting is done in less then 15 mins from my house.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4