turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Age of Bird

Started by zelmo1, April 30, 2018, 02:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberta Jonny

Can anyone tell me how old they can actually get? I've never found a definitive answer.

zelmo1

My opinion is that he is 4 years old. The birds in this area are generally smaller than ashort distance away, who knows. The beard was fairly thick and spurs on 2 year olds around here is generally less than an inch. The weight kills me, 16 pounds, I don't understand it. A 4 year old bird in the mountains, 30 mins north, are huge. 24 plus on lots of them. Just my  :z-twocents:. Thanks, Al Baker

GobbleNut

Quote from: Alberta Jonny on May 01, 2018, 11:11:06 AM
Can anyone tell me how old they can actually get? I've never found a definitive answer.

Under ideal conditions, I believe a turkey can live quite a long time.  Existing documentation suggests that the maximum life span in about thirteen years, but I am not sure any definitive studies have been done to actually test that theory with large numbers of wild turkeys living under ideal circumstances.

Here in New Mexico, I have seen "flagged" wild birds that had to be eight or ten years old based on when they were captured and flagged and when I was still seeing them years later.  Those birds were in wild, hunted populations.   

Gooserbat

I was once told by a very reputable biologist who has a special interest in wild turkeys that with the exception of spur wear roughly every 1/4" beyond 3/4" represents a year of turkey life.  He said this was an estimate and was not set in stone.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

THattaway

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 01, 2018, 01:49:21 PM
My opinion is that he is 4 years old. The birds in this area are generally smaller than ashort distance away, who knows. The beard was fairly thick and spurs on 2 year olds around here is generally less than an inch. The weight kills me, 16 pounds, I don't understand it. A 4 year old bird in the mountains, 30 mins north, are huge. 24 plus on lots of them. Just my  :z-twocents:. Thanks, Al Baker
The low body weight could be from any number of things.
They tend to drop body weight when they get old, may be much older than you think. Could have had some health issue through the past winter when they normally pick up weight from mast crops.

I've killed two toms over the past years on one particular WMA tract here in SC and found small lead shot in their rear ends in bone. Area around the shot appeared to be degrading. Neither tom had much of a fat patch around his crawl and both appeared to be 3 year olds judging from spurs. Toms from nearby areas seemed to have faired well through the winter. Average toms in that area run 18-20lbs but both those were 16lbs. I assumed they were sprayed during fall small game seasons as we have no fall season anymore here. In my mind the lead shot was the culprit but I am no biologist.

In most of the state toms average 18-20lbs depending on last years mast crop (generally speaking). I've killed a few low country river bottom toms that compete with wild hogs for mast crop and those run 16lbs on average and normally have long sharp spurs.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 01, 2018, 10:30:33 PM
I was once told by a very reputable biologist who has a special interest in wild turkeys that with the exception of spur wear roughly every 1/4" beyond 3/4" represents a year of turkey life.  He said this was an estimate and was not set in stone.

I suspect this axiom might hold true in some locations and, as you say, Sam, it is not set in stone.  I can say without hesitation, though, that his theory does not apply to our Merriam's turkeys here in southern New Mexico.  Ultimately, I believe spur development is all about genetics and subspecies.  While it is true that the older a bird gets, the more his spurs grow and sharpen, the "quarter inch per year" theory just does not hold water everywhere.

THattaway

Gobblenut have you ever noticed how the diameter of the marrow channel varies on toms while cutting off the spur sections? I've noticed quite a variation and wonder if there is any connection to age. I've always considered bone structure difference on a jake vs. an adult tom to be very substantial but never paid attention to the leg bones until recent years. Seems to be a larger channel on older turkeys.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobble!

Older than two. Florida hes maybe three. Where I hunt hes maybe four+.

THattaway

Quote from: guesswho on May 02, 2018, 08:42:55 AM
I'd say at least 3
You should be the man for the leg bone diameter study. Get that bucket out and get to work.

GobbleNut

Good idea,...get Ronnie distracted with something so he doesn't try to kill every gobbler in the woods!

As for the bone marrow theory, I can't help with that one.  I have never been one to cut the spurs off of my birds.  It does seem to be logical that age will produce changes in bone structure. ...I know it has with me (and it ain't all been good)... ;D :toothy12:

johnski

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 01, 2018, 01:49:21 PM
I have always wondered if the weight is effected by the severity and longevity of the winters especially in the North East.  What I am saying is perhaps when the snow and cold temps hold on into late March early April the birds might not have time to fatten back up before they go into full on case mode.  I don't know if that makes sense or not.  I know a few years ago my dad killed a 2 year old on NY's opening day 9" beard ¾" spurs and it weighed in just over 14 lbs and that was after a bad winter.  Normal 2 years old in the area weigh anyware from 17-20 lbs.