turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you?

Started by Spitten and drummen, April 30, 2018, 08:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Would you trade a platz walnut glass over glass even for a Watkins fiddle box if it was the only Platz glass call you had. The thought being that getting a Platz glass call is like pulling teeth but you can pick up the phone and order all the fiddle boxes you want and have them in 6 months. I know for a fact that Paul has not been and will not be turning pots anytime soon in the near future.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

1iagobblergetter

I wouldn't. Just as stated...You may not be able to get another Platz,but are able to get a Watkins..Also anymore on the secondary market the Platz is around the same money as the Watkins..If both were super hard to get I'd be on the fence. I'd have to go with whichever one I was going to use more.

letinmfly

Not a chance.  I own 5 of Paul's calls and they're not going anywhere, at least not that I know of. Lol
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

vt35mag

In a heart beat, but I am a fiddle box junky.

yelpy

I'll never own a Platz so I don't have an answer but I would trade most all my pots for good box calls.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

idratherb

Id sell it and let some fool pay $300 plus

Daddy rat

What bout Lamar Williams box?

MS Boy

Quote from: idratherb on April 30, 2018, 09:18:20 PM
Id sell it and let some fool pay $300 plus
I tried but he didn't accept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jed clampett

They are good calls...but jeez not the holy grail...i had 3 sold 1 cherry slate and traded a walnut glass 2 sider..kept the walnut double glass...but didn't even hunt it last year or not so far this year!

Happy hooker

So just a survey??? Removing the supply demand aspects

What do you  think takes more skill,craftsmanship, time to make?? a fiddle or one of the true high end pots.

southern_leo

Quote from: Happy hooker on May 01, 2018, 07:37:39 PM

What do you  think takes more skill,craftsmanship, time to make?? a fiddle or one of the true high end pots.
I'm staying out of the platz convo but I'll reply directly to your post.

Your question can't be answered. I'm a call maker and at this time I only make pot calls because that's what I'm passionate about, but I know a bit about making boxes as well. The speed of making a call depends on the method you use and the style your making for both kinds of calls. Craftsmanship is the same way. I've seen some bad pots and some bad boxes. The Cody World Class takes 2 months to make each! I don't know of a single box call that takes that long to make.

Like anything else once you have your method down and get comfortable with your measurements you reduce your time making a call, but it's still almost impossible to say one takes more craftsmanship than the other. Another thing to consider is several "custom" makers use CNC machines. In my personal opinion this is no longer a custom call and takes next to no craftsmanship. But I promise these CNC guys pump out boxes faster than most can turn a pot. Also as far as "Craftsmanship" that word means different things to different folks. Some mainly look at fit and finish, some look at a total package, and some consider sound only. Since I've gotten into call making when someone discusses craftsmanship with me my mind goes straight to sound. Because to me the true craftsmanship took place when a maker took the time to figure out how to make that piece of wood sound like a turkey (in any type of call). I take pride in my calls and their appearance, but to me personally if I'm buying a call i would an ugly call that sounds good over a pretty call that's dull.  To me that ugly call with turkey in it has better craftsmanship. Also keep in mind though we all have different taste in what a call should sound like.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Quote from: southern_leo on May 01, 2018, 08:26:06 PM
Quote from: Happy hooker on May 01, 2018, 07:37:39 PM

I'm staying out of the platz convo but I'll reply directly to your post.

Your question can't be answered. I'm a call maker and at this time I only make pot calls because that's what I'm passionate about, but I know a bit about making boxes as well. The speed of making a call depends on the method you use and the style your making for both kinds of calls. Craftsmanship is the same way. I've seen some bad pots and some bad boxes. The Cody World Class takes 2 months to make each! I don't know of a single box call that takes that long to make.

Like anything else once you have your method down and get comfortable with your measurements you reduce your time making a call, but it's still almost impossible to say one takes more craftsmanship than the other. Another thing to consider is several "custom" makers use CNC machines. In my personal opinion this is no longer a custom call and takes next to no craftsmanship. But I promise these CNC guys pump out boxes faster than most can turn a pot. Also as far as "Craftsmanship" that word means different things to different folks. Some mainly look at fit and finish, some look at a total package, and some consider sound only. Since I've gotten into call making when someone discusses craftsmanship with me my mind goes straight to sound. Because to me the true craftsmanship took place when a maker took the time to figure out how to make that piece of wood sound like a turkey (in any type of call). I take pride in my calls and their appearance, but to me personally if I'm buying a call i would an ugly call that sounds good over a pretty call that's dull.  To me that ugly call with turkey in it has better craftsmanship. Also keep in mind though we all have different taste in what a call should sound like.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good stuff!