OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tell me why

Started by 2eagles, April 29, 2018, 09:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

Twice this last week I've had a group of four long beards come by me just out of bow range. These guys are walking around gobbling like crazy! I hear them coming. I see them going by. I hear them walking away gobbling. They march by my hen decoy, at about 25 yards and I think they are laugh-gobbling at me. I have had hens come by calling too and these guys just don't care. Hmmm....

Uncle Nicky

They are just being turkeys. Rarely do they come charging in to the decoys like you see on TV, but it happens. Keep at it, eventually one will slip up.

1iagobblergetter

Have you tried ditching the decoys? If that don't work ditch the bow for the shotgun 4th season is just around the corner..Lol..

Greg Massey

I agree it's just turkeys being turkeys , i've had gobblers come up into a field look and gobbler once or twice and keeping going , regardless what you do ... it's just turkeys ...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 29, 2018, 11:09:06 PM
Have you tried ditching the decoys?
This was going to be my suggestion. That or maybe move the decoys closer to you? Also if using a jake ditch it and if not use one?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dublelung

Ditch the dekes and make them have to actually look for the source of the calling. Gobblers walking along doing gobbler stuff and they hear a hen talking hen stuff, they look her way, see her and carry on about their business.

1iagobblergetter

Could also try fighting purrs or go to a Strutter decoy and see if dominance will bring them in. Otherwise go with my 4th Season shotgun trick..  :fud: :OGani: youve got them trained they are safe at 25 yds for now...

chcltlabz

My guess is this is a group of 2 year old subdominant birds.  We see them around here when there are older, very dominant birds.  The 2 year olds seem to act like gangs of jakes who gobble, but if they come to the call, they usually sneak in the last bit quietly, peeking around to make sure the boss isn't around.

I'd either try ditching the decoys completely or set up a breeding jake decoy.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

joker

Have you tried to hunt gobblers that are not gay? You will see gobblers do this a lot. Sometimes they are just more interested in running around gobbling than they are in hens.

stinkpickle

Quote from: joker on April 30, 2018, 02:46:17 PM
Have you tried to hunt gobblers that are not gay? You will see gobblers do this a lot. Sometimes they are just more interested in running around gobbling than they are in hens.

LOL!   True, though. 

2eagles

Some good thoughts. I wondered about their sexual orientation too.
Already ditched the jake and hens are about 12 yards from my blind.
Can't ditch the bow & go shotgun. Had neck surgery and still waiting on Dr's OK to shoot a shotgun.
Hey! It's good, I get to spend more time in the woods.

tha bugman

Just because you think you are set up right doesn't mean that the turkeys do....if that makes any sense.

Spitten and drummen

Set up with no decoys and in a place that they have to look for you. Make sure when they are visible that they are in range.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE