OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth call is not like riding bike.....

Started by ShootingABN!, April 28, 2018, 10:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

So in my teenage years I used the mouth call a lot... Felt okay with it. Then I got on the peg and pots. Love those friction calls. But wanted to try the mouth calls again, after thirty years....

Man even after a week I don't think I even sound like a turkey.... Shouldn't it be like a bike you never forget.....

I need some help....

Thanks for any help..

ShootingABN!

gergg

I didn't wait 30 years to try a mouth call again.....but I used one exclusively for many years(30 years ago) and was pretty competent with them, started messing with other types of calls(mostly) and then decided to start building my own mouth calls again this year.....for me it was like riding a bike, just took a few minutes and I was back...lol. Mouth calls have change a lot from 30 years ago, lots of reed cuts that make them play very differently, maybe try a 2 or 3 reed with no cuts?
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

ShootingABN!

Gregg,

Thanks yea. My favorite mouth call was the Penn's Woods raspy 3 reed. I've picked up a 3 pack of HS strut calls, and even a Primos. Nothing is chirping for me.....

1iagobblergetter

I would start out like you started out 30 yrs ago. Probably a double reed and a couple vhs tapes. Now it'll be you tube or maybe a dvd. Then work your way up from that.

gergg

Quote from: ShootingABN! on April 29, 2018, 03:04:51 PM
Gregg,

Thanks yea. My favorite mouth call was the Penn's Woods raspy 3 reed. I've picked up a 3 pack of HS strut calls, and even a Primos. Nothing is chirping for me.....
I think a lot of store bought calls are horribly inconsistent, many times I would just have to throw them all away. Making your own mouth calls may not be practical or cost efficient, in that case, there are guys on this forum that make "custom" calls for reasonable prices, I would try some of them. Go with either a 2 or 3 reed with no cuts, or maybe a batwing if you want some rasp.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Bowhuntr73

Practice, cause today I realized , I suck at this aspect of calling!

Bowguy

Idk I've never had a problem mouth calling. I'm the type guy that practiced years every day as a kid til I got it right though.  It's never been hard to repick it up. 30 years is a long time though. Get a Hooks, they blow easy and try that

ShootingABN!

Thanks everyone and keep them suggestions coming...

Hooksnhorns

Get on youtube and search for Scott Ellis how to yelp (cutt,purr,etc.).  He is good at explaining it.
Don't Tread On Me

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Kevin6Q

I wouldn't get too hung up on sounding perfect. Listening to hens they crack, squeak, and have a variety of sounds. All of which are perfect and sound like a turkey. If there was one call or sound which made Toms come rushing in to 20 yards, stand still with their heads straight up and ignore all extra movement a lot of the fun wouldn't be left in hunting turkeys.

Go to a bar and listen to all of the female voices. They are all different but most definitely female. Some you like more than others. Some you like the sound but what they say makes you cringe. Others sound horrible but what they say is captivating. Turkeys are pretty stupid animals and as my wife points out, not too different from human men. Just like humans we all respond to something different.

My suggestion is go hunt and stop worrying about the few odd sounds you make. If the tom is all randy and hears something willing to breed  he's gonna charge though the woods and behave like its closing time at the local watering hole.

ShootingABN!

As a teenager I had all Lovett Williams JR tapes. I'd play them in the truck. I can't remember which one I liked the best. I'd like to get a CD. Which volume does everyone recommend? Thanks.....

ShootingABN!

I ordered a Primos instructional CD that came with three calls and "Real Turkey's" with the Legendary Lovett Williams JR

mspaci

if you are good with them, they are absolutely like riding a bike, get good with 1 or 2 and you should be great. Mike