OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Easiest playing box call for a kid?

Started by MikeStaten, April 28, 2018, 07:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

Looking to pickup a box call for my friend's 11 year old son who has really taking a liking to turkey hunting after I took him out a few times.  I use pot calls mostly so I gave him two and now he wants to try a box.  I'd appreciate some suggestions as far as maker, short, long, one Sider and woods.  Dont mind waiting for a bit but would prefer a maker that can get  one out in months instead of years.
Thanks, Mike

Marc

Both of my girls (at 5 and 7 years old) could play any box call I had within minutes...

SS makes a reasonable field call that sound great...  Spring Creek makes a very good call for the most reasonable price I have seen for any custom calls...

I purchased a Pittman "Two Face" call from the local Bass Pro shop at about $20 (on sale) for my oldest, and after hearing her play it, I keep it in my vest when she does not go...  Nice high-pitch, raspy call that seems to elicit a response from birds...

I picked up on this fact when hunting with my daughter in tow, and trying to drum up a gobble...  In two different occasions I laid out what I thought were some sweet seductive calls which were followed by silence...  Only to have my daughter immediately strike up a gobble.

Lynch "Fool Proof" calls are a proven (and easy) call as well...  Although at the cost, I would consider a custom call instead.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Bowguy

Gonna think I'm crazy on this one but I had a Cody Holei one sider that ran/sounded really well. Think it was cherry. I'm not a one sider fan normally and don't have vast experience w them but that one sounded great and my 12 year old nephew got it. Plays good for him.
I'd bet SS has some good one siders also. Prob cheaper too. I'd surely consider them

TauntoHawk

SS one sider, SS standard field grade, van cise handled short box are all easy to run quick to get and affordable yet beautifully built

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gobbler336

personslly i think hallorans short boxes are moron proof, if there is an easier to run call i havent found it

nyhunter

SS one sider , "old" Lynch fool proof, 

Ol Yelper

SS Kwila/Butternut short box. A great box!

Happy hooker

Whatever you do buy it new,not off the swap board,,have it personalized with their name on,,
Today's kid can run any boxcall look at the way they zip around on tablets,video games,internet,,I learn about computer skills from a lot of kids :)

earl9932

I agree. If a kid has an ear for music/tone/pitch/cadence, they can pick up a boxcall pretty easy.

I got a two sided deluxe box (Kwila over Red Cedar) from S&S last year for my 11 year old. I wrote a personalized inscription for my son and Al added it to the bottom of the box. Incredible service and craftsmanship.

You just can't go wrong with a custom call with your inscription as a first time box/gift. The cost is nothing compared to the memories that will be made.

MikeStaten

Thanks for all the responses.

Amazingly, Mike from Spring Creek Calls is sending the kid one of his box calls for free.  Very generous of him.  The kids is going to be so happy. 

Thanks again!

Mike

yelpy

Great gesture Mike!! Your a fine gentleman. Jeff Mckamey made one for my grandson, sent the call and said it's a gift. Great to see call makers and others helping the kids get involved with the outdoors!!!!
Quote from: MikeStaten on May 03, 2018, 01:27:10 PM

Amazingly, Mike from Spring Creek Calls is sending the kid one of his box calls for free.  Very generous of him.  The kids is going to be so happy. 

Thanks again!

Mike

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Amazingly, Mike from Spring Creek Calls is sending the kid one of his box calls for free. 

Now THAT'S stand-up stuff, right there !!!!!

Never met the man.  But that speaks VOLUMES to his character.

My hat's off to Mike !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

perrytrails

Thanks again!

Mike
That don't surprise me a bit, Mike makes a great box call at a affordable price.

That gesture right there says what kinda guy he is...

trkehunr93

Lynch fool proof or any one sided box call