OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can you mount a scope to the ventrib?

Started by Sir-diealot, April 26, 2018, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Can you mount a scope to the ventrib? I know you would need some type of "Rings" or something of that sort but I am thinking if I can swing it by next year I would like to get a scope on my 1187 Thanks for the replies.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BrowningGuy88

You can use a mount called the rib rider (I believe).

It shouldn't be expensive to have it drilled and tapped if you have access to a gunsmith unless you just don't want to drill your receiver.

Goodtimekiller

I tried a rib rider one year but where it came back over the receiver it bent up, making me shoot low.  I thought maybe i caught it on something and bent it. Bent it back and after 3 shots it was shooting low again. I much prefer a saddle mount or drill and tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: BrowningGuy88 on April 26, 2018, 09:15:46 PM
You can use a mount called the rib rider (I believe).

It shouldn't be expensive to have it drilled and tapped if you have access to a gunsmith unless you just don't want to drill your receiver.
Would drilling and tapping interfere with the cantilever scope mount? (I have normal barrel for shot shells and rifled for Sabots) Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on April 26, 2018, 09:55:06 PM
I tried a rib rider one year but where it came back over the receiver it bent up, making me shoot low.  I thought maybe i caught it on something and bent it. Bent it back and after 3 shots it was shooting low again. I much prefer a saddle mount or drill and tap.

Okay, that is certainly something to think about.

John Koenig:

Goodtimekiller

It should not but you would probably have to get some shorter screws to fill the holes when the mount was not on, gunsmith should have those and shouldn't be a big deal.   i would worry a little bit about an aluminum receiver if you were taking the screws out and putting them in a bunch, i've heard some people complain about stripping the threads.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on April 26, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
It should not but you would probably have to get some shorter screws to fill the holes when the mount was not on, gunsmith should have those and shouldn't be a big deal.   i would worry a little bit about an aluminum receiver if you were taking the screws out and putting them in a bunch, i've heard some people complain about stripping the threads.

Thanks, it's a roughly 95 era Remington 1187, I am not sure what the receiver would be made of. Edit: Make that 93 era

John Koenig:

Goodtimekiller

Not sure, i will say the saddle mounts can scratch the receiver a little bit too but i always liked mine. Used it (on 3 guns) until i bought a turkey specific gun with a rail.

MK M GOBL

Yes, I know it came from Brownell's and works great!!

MK M GOBL

richard black

I installed the mossy oak graphics kit on my 870 20 gauge which protects the receiver, etc. I then purchased a saddle mount and a Bushnell TRS 25 and was good to go. Have shot 4-5 gobblers with absolutely no problems. I would think this would be just as good a set-up for the 11-87. Shop around and should be able to come in for less than $100 total.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 26, 2018, 10:20:06 PM

MK M GOBL
That looks a little different than the one i had, i think mine was a sun optics brand.  Mine bolted onto the rib in the front with no attachment in the back and i think the kick made it bend. The one in this pic looks a bit thicker than the one i had.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on April 26, 2018, 10:04:20 PM
Not sure, i will say the saddle mounts can scratch the receiver a little bit too but i always liked mine. Used it (on 3 guns) until i bought a turkey specific gun with a rail.

Now that they have made rifle legal in NY I am going to make this my dedicated shotgun, intend to get it dipped next year.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 26, 2018, 10:20:06 PM

MK M GOBL
Never bought anything from them and have never heard anything bad about them. Nice looking gun.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: richard black on April 26, 2018, 10:20:58 PM
I installed the mossy oak graphics kit on my 870 20 gauge which protects the receiver, etc. I then purchased a saddle mount and a Bushnell TRS 25 and was good to go. Have shot 4-5 gobblers with absolutely no problems. I would think this would be just as good a set-up for the 11-87. Shop around and should be able to come in for less than $100 total.
I think I will get the gun dipped next year so I may well go and get it drilled, or maybe not, still thinking on it.

John Koenig:

Goodtimekiller

If i was only going to use it turkey hunting i would have it drilled and tapped, but i love a scope and will never go without one.