OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stupid Question

Started by Sir-diealot, April 26, 2018, 06:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 27, 2018, 12:49:02 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on April 27, 2018, 12:45:24 PM
Just so you know when you close one eye binocular vision is gone and your elevation probs would/ should increase.
The Winn free flight that clips straight to string is real rough on lots of servings. Just an FYI
So it should make my elevation worse? I just don't have a choice on the release, when I have tried to clip into a loop I always end up above or below the string whereas with the one that clips on the string I cheat by putting my middle finger on the string and that makes it so that I know where to place the release.

Another option for a release is a T-handle/hand held release. You can hook it to the loop when you first get ready and leave it hooked up. When it's time to shoot, just grab the release and pull...no trying to find the loop in the "heat of the monent". There are many different brands, styles and price ranges. I like Tru-Ball releases. I currently shoot a 4 finger Boss X and Max Pro 4. The Boss X will run around $150 new and the Max Pro about $100 new. At times you can pick them up used on Archerytalk.com in the classifieds for $100 and $60 respectively.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on April 29, 2018, 08:27:29 AM
Just so you know when you close one eye binocular vision is gone and your elevation probs would/ should increase.
The Winn free flight that clips straight to string is real rough on lots of servings. Just an FYI
So it should make my elevation worse? I just don't have a choice on the release, when I have tried to clip into a loop I always end up above or below the string whereas with the one that clips on the string I cheat by putting my middle finger on the string and that makes it so that I know where to place the release.

Another option for a release is a T-handle/hand held release. You can hook it to the loop when you first get ready and leave it hooked up. When it's time to shoot, just grab the release and pull...no trying to find the loop in the "heat of the monent". There are many different brands, styles and price ranges. I like Tru-Ball releases. I currently shoot a 4 finger Boss X and Max Pro 4. The Boss X will run around $150 new and the Max Pro about $100 new. At times you can pick them up used on Archerytalk.com in the classifieds for $100 and $60 respectively.
It does look like a very nice release, but I don't like that it can't be attached to you, I could see it falling off the string and in the case of somebody being in a stand falling to the ground. Not as bad for me as I am hunting from a ground blind. I do have a question on it though, with my Winn Free Flight release it makes it much much easier and more comfortable to draw the bow, I have not seen any other release that does that, does this release do the same?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

The problem w the style you hook on is a good one is light, clean triggered. If you're elevated and if you bump it it'd fall to ground. They're also inherently pricier.
Also if you were to change to a dif style anchor, release, etc anything could do it your draw could change. That would affect the string angle. In turn you'd have to move any peeps, kissers, etc and most likely resight. You may need new arrows too.
It all depends on the release neck length.
If you're going thumb style though forget the  $150 ones and go for a carter. It's slighltymore but you'd prob love it more than you do your wife.
Stan makes a decent one as well. They're all around a couple hundred.
Now some thumb styles "set" when pressed against string. Some don't and require dexterity. Being the op said he has probs those oughta be passed imo

Sir-diealot

I think I have confused things a bit and I apologize, when I do go to try traditional I will more than likely go with a glove with the finger tabs on them.

When I am referring to a release I am talking about shooting my compound. To be 100% honest when it comes to the compound I really do like my release, yes I have to have it reserved every now and again but it is easier than the loop for me for the reasons I said above. Now the one way I think that it may work for me with a loop is with one of those plastic loops like this one, https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tru-ball-tru-nok-with-peep-aligner but I have never even seen those in person so I could have problems with that as well, who knows. The thought in my mind on why that may be better is though I would still have the problem with judging the up and down trying to get the jaws on it (What I mean here is like people go to hand me a pen and I am always grabbing behind it or in front of it and often they just shove the pen into my hand) because it is hard plastic I would not have to worry about the loop bending over or up and fighting me more if I do miss it a little, but again that is just speculation. I am sorry if I am sounding like a chronic complainer, it is not my intent, just trying to be sure everybody knows what it is I am trying to say.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Bowguy

Plastic loops if your not perfect lead to torque

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on April 29, 2018, 04:30:48 PM
Plastic loops if your not perfect lead to torque
Ah okay, then I am back to my preference of a release that goes on the string.

John Koenig:

Bowguy

Take a look at the hardcore. It's got one jaw. Think you'll find it real easy w a string loop

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on April 29, 2018, 09:27:12 PM
Take a look at the hardcore. It's got one jaw. Think you'll find it real easy w a string loop
I saw a few by them that are called Hardcore but by the looks of the other ones you had me look at I am guessing you mean this one? I have actually used one of those (Hook types) once, I did not release with it as we were in a grocery store parking lot. A friend of mine was selling French Bulldog pups and part of the deal was a $1000+ Bowtech bow and some cash and he knew nothing about bows so he asked me to come along. I brought my release but when we got there is was a loop so I had to use the guys release to pull it back. I had a hard time getting it on the loop and he had to help me get it on the loop, though it was decent to pull back. If I could get in a shop or had a friend with one and have them let me practice with one for a bit I might buy one but to be perfectly honest with you $100 and up for a release I may not even like or be able to use is just not a wise move for me financially, I would rather use it to buy a few more calls here :D Again I would be willing to try one if I found a way to use one for a bit first and see if I could adjust to it.

John Koenig:

Bowguy

That is the thumb style. I was referring to the index style. The thumb one stinks trigger wise. Guess it's all relative. Correct shooting form uses back tension and you need a clean release. They do cost a few hundred. There's actually nothing I'd recommend lower than the index style hardcore. I think I'm referring to it correctly. It's got a single jaw, same as that thumb style and you can just put it on loop. There is one advantage to the thumb style you show, it's the keeper on it. You'll not knock it off so easy. It's got a long neck though,

Bowguy

Here is it cheap. I actually never saw it so. It's not the best but better than lots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjnengr

Quote from: Bowguy on April 29, 2018, 01:01:31 PM

The problem w the style you hook on is a good one is light, clean triggered. If you're elevated and if you bump it it'd fall to ground. They're also inherently pricier.
Also if you were to change to a dif style anchor, release, etc anything could do it your draw could change. That would affect the string angle. In turn you'd have to move any peeps, kissers, etc and most likely resight. You may need new arrows too.
If you're going thumb style though forget the  $150 ones and go for a carter. It's slighltymore but you'd prob love it more than you do your wife.
Now some thumb styles "set" when pressed against string. Some don't and require dexterity. Being the op said he has probs those oughta be passed imo

I bought the Carter chocolate addiction many years ago because I like the idea of having a "T" handle style release.  I clip it to my loop and there is no issue of taking my eye off the target to find the loop.   My release does not have a heavy trigger, but you would have to hit very sharply exactly on the thumb trigger to make it release.  Simply bumping it would make the release swing back and forth, not release it.  Also, I keep my backup release in my backpack/fanny pack just in case for multiple reasons.

Bowguy

Quote from: kjnengr on April 30, 2018, 09:57:00 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on April 29, 2018, 01:01:31 PM

I bought the Carter chocolate addiction many years ago because I like the idea of having a "T" handle style release.  I clip it to my loop and there is no issue of taking my eye off the target to find the loop.   My release does not have a heavy trigger, but you would have to hit very sharply exactly on the thumb trigger to make it release.  Simply bumping it would make the release swing back and forth, not release it.  Also, I keep my backup release in my backpack/fanny pack just in case for multiple reasons.
My brother shoots one of the chocolates. He likes it. I was using a too simple or just b cuz on a compound. Course fingers on a longbow or recurve.
The carters though, I've never seen a bad one. The triggers are adjustable and you must have yours heavier than mine. Mine you put some back tension pressure on or the George Ryals method of elongating fingers and it goes off.
You tube archery learning center, thing a week George Ryals releases. He shows back tension and thumb releases shot exactly the same way. It's pretty awesome and I'd be pretty sure it's a non target panic pro method. Check it out. George is one of the country's top coaches.
We're pretty far removed from the op original question now though

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on April 30, 2018, 06:18:11 AM
Here is it cheap. I actually never saw it so. It's not the best but better than lots

Nice looking release. This is the exact one that I have now that goes to the string serving, second picture is a jaw type that they use for a loop. I think if I do go with loop in future it would be with the second one as it is a familiar feel to me. Also I can just buy the metal parts, remove my metal parts and attach it to my current "glove" and I would not have to break in another one. I also like that the way you pull back on them makes the pull much, much easier.

John Koenig:

Bowguy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 30, 2018, 11:58:39 AM

Nice looking release. This is the exact one that I have now that goes to the string serving, second picture is a jaw type that they use for a loop. I think if I do go with loop in future it would be with the second one as it is a familiar feel to me. Also I can just buy the metal parts, remove my metal parts and attach it to my current "glove" and I would not have to break in another one. I also like that the way you pull back on them makes the pull much, much easier.
I know the release. That's why I say it's rough on servings. Maybe if your bow is longer you won't have a prob

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on April 30, 2018, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 30, 2018, 11:58:39 AM

I know the release. That's why I say it's rough on servings. Maybe if your bow is longer you won't have a prob
Ah okay, thanks for letting me know. My bow is 37" axle to axle and has an 8" brace height. Whatever I do it won't be right away, van is more important right now, I have been trying to get it into the shop for at least 2 months but the GF keeps putting it off and now it looks like I won't be able to go out tomorrow for opening day because the vehicle I was supposed to be using has to be used for getting others to work. May not get out until next week. I am not a happy camper. I do thank you for your advise though.

John Koenig: