Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Northeastern Hunters - Are your birds 'behind schedule'?

Started by deerhunt1988, April 24, 2018, 05:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

I have a trip planned for New York/Penn during the second week of May. However this crazy spring weather has me thinking I should maybe push it back a week. I've hunted 5 states in the southeast/midwest this spring and birds have been 'behind schedule' in all of them. Really late green up, behind almost as much as 2 weeks in some areas. This can lead to some difficult hunting with bare woods and henned up birds. I know the northeast has not had a normal spring either, so what are you guys currently observing? Do you think the 3rd week of your season (May 12-20) will be better than the second week? I'll be hunting public land. One advantage I'd have is that i'd be able to hunt afternoons in Penn if I push my trip back. Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

zelmo1

I am in  central southeastern NH and we are 10 days to 2 weeks behind for sure. They are still flocked up in a few areas. I just started seeing lone strutters this past weekend. Al Baker

johnski

I am in Connecticut and we are probally 10 days to 2 weeks behind in terms of green up as well.  The woods are bare still.  The maples are starting to bud but no green yet just the red tinge.  I hunt CT, RI, and NY and always have better luck latter in the year anyway. On a normal year the birds are usually henned up the first week or 2. 

vt35mag

I live 5 miles from Killington and watched a tom breed a hen two weeks ago on snow.  Flocks are broken up now too. I don't think the late spring will factor into whether or not I fill my VT and NY tags.  Foliage is behind for sure.  Late season hunting is ALWAYS the best though.  I get more excited for the last week than I do the first.

Bowguy

I don't think they're behind schedule anymore. Least not much.

Happy

Never really worried about it. All that has ever mattered to me is what the particular turkey I am dealing with is doing. I just find a bird and try to figure out what his mood is and use that to my advantage. Sometimes I think we worry over analyze stuff instead of dealing with the obvious. Not every tom is on the same schedule or in the same mood.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TauntoHawk

I think the green up is further behind then the birds but come whenever works best for you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mennoniteman

We went out for youth day in zone 6b in Pennsylvania and it was really different this year, although we heard plenty of gobbles we couldn't call any in or even get one of these toms to answer us. Although there's multiple factors to attribute this to, I blame it on the very late spring we are having around here. But that means in two weeks or so it should be getting pretty good.

Phire Phite

Couple hours north of 35Mag in VT, saw a hen being bred almost 4 weeks ago.  Yes, green up is behind as we only just lost our snow this weekend, but doesn't seem to affect them.  Only flocks I've seen recently are at the local turkey farm.

dublelung

Push it back and knock out 2 states while you're up there that far.

putzy

Central pa is looking good. Buddy took his son last Saturday and had luck. Been seeing and hearing birds regular. Green up is like it used to be. Just starting.

Meatseeker

Birds in CT and MA are definitely behind by a few weeks.  The winter flocks are just breaking up.  Tom's are quiet as soon as they hit the ground.  The woods are wide open.  That said I would not change your plans.  I'm sure things will be in full swing in NY by the second week of May.  Day length is the primary driver of breeding season.  The birds are ready to go... they just need some high pressure and and a few days of nice weather and they will go OFF!  Good luck!

NHLongbeard

We're definitely behind this year....and more behind than I can ever remember. I think the hunting will be fine though.

zelmo1

Just started seeing lone toms cruising yesterday. Hens still are acting cold around here.

Sixes

It's always interesting to me to read stuff like this with all you guys talking about being behind  with spring greenup and snow on the ground and I sit here in north GA and see most trees have their leaves and I noticed this morning that my dogwoods have lost their white and now have leaves and my grass is getting greener and fuller by the day.

Some of yall have snow and I've already cut my grass 3 or 4 times. Some seasons are just now starting and ours only has a little over 2 weeks left.