turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

RIP Bruno Samartino...

Started by quavers59, April 18, 2018, 07:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Bruno Samartino just passed at age 82. Back when I was a young man- when the topic of Pro Wrestling was brought up-- the name of Bruno Samartino always came up. I remember him picking up 601lb Haystacks Calhoun in a bodyslam.  I remember back in the early to mid 1970s when wrestling was on Saturday night. Always looked forward to seeing Bruno in the ring. His matches against Superstar Billy Graham were epic.  Don't know if too many young men here know who he was. He like Graham were 2 of the all time pro wrestling greats.

RED NECK

He was an icon in pro wrestling....Rip Bruno
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Old Gobbler

Read the stories of how he and his family hid from the nazis  in occupied Italy during the war, amazing life stories !

RIP-Bruno
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

guesswho

He lived longer than a lot of them.   It's amazing how many wrestlers have passed.   A good friend of mine Ron Heard aka  Ron Bass passed away last February.   That's a rough life.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RED NECK

Sir-diealot

I got to see him at the very tail end of his career, he was a good entertainer even at the end. I can't recall his sons name but I know he was an entertainer as well. My era was more the Hulk Hogan, Jimmy "Superfly Snuka, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat era.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RED NECK

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

dutch@fx4

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 18, 2018, 08:03:01 PM
I got to see him at the very tail end of his career, he was a good entertainer even at the end. I can't recall his sons name but I know he was an entertainer as well. My era was more the Hulk Hogan, Jimmy "Superfly Snuka, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat era.

I had Jimmy super fly down at my place for a weekend .wow could that man party .hard drinking.and a ton of laughs.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on April 18, 2018, 08:39:02 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 18, 2018, 08:03:01 PM

I had Jimmy super fly down at my place for a weekend .wow could that man party .hard drinking.and a ton of laughs.
Yea I heard he could party pretty hard. Got to see him live in Buffalo, NY when I was young. Him, Hulk Hogan, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Cowboy Bob Orton, Ivan Polish Power Putski, Jesse "The Body" Ventura and others.

John Koenig:

captpete

I don't remember him, but I do remember several of the older wrestlers. My mom watched it EVERY Saturday night. My dad would laugh at us about how excited and into "it" we would get. Just a few I remember...Hansom Harley Race, Danny Little Bear, The Viking, Terry Funk Jr, Rufus R. Jones, and The Russian. 
I remember going one time and my sister took me to get autographs from several of the wrestlers. At the time I didn't realize it(I was only about 9yrs old, now I'm 56), but Danny Little Bear and the Viking were hitting on my sister. They were standing about 15' apart laughing and joking around. 30 minutes later they were "beating" the crap out of each other in the ring.

gunsrtools

RIP Bruno.
Another icon of my youth.....gone.

1iagobblergetter

RIP....My Dad use to love watching wrestling back in the day. About the only ones I still remember are Bulldog Bob Brown and Andre the Giant...

pabossie255

Rip. I met Aundre the Giant he was wrestling Big John Stud seen Snuka, Junk Yard dog, Jake the snake and Sarg slauter back in the early 80's.

tha bugman

I vaguely remember him.  Wow, Saturday's as a kid were just awesome!  Get up before day to watch cartoons until lunch, watch Mid-South Wrestling out of Memphis...play all day outside, then finish it up with wrestling until way past my bedtime!  Good times great memories!