OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cold/Snowy nesting conditions??

Started by 1iagobblergetter, April 18, 2018, 11:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Our weather has been really up and down.Im wondering if hens just hold off until it gets nicer out? Drop an egg and it's ruined?? Do they go for broke and lay know matter what and if nothing hatches re nest.Know way an egg could survive unattended in the weather we've had is why I'm curious.

2eagles

Some say it's moon phase that gets the turkeys breeding and I think that's true to a point. With our weather so messed up, you know as well as I do the birds are still grouped in late winter groups and I think there's not a lot of actual mating happening. I'm thinking Spring will warm up starting this weekend and that's when the breeding will happen and the eggs will laid. Second season guys will get Tommy next week I'm sure.

1iagobblergetter

Im sure they are breeding now. Even with the weather messed up I've seen single Toms with 4 or 5 hens. The one I shot was a 9.25 inch bearded sub dominant with 2 big dominant Toms and 6 or so hens. Usually would have waited for the Biggest,but with the weather i wasnt going to get greedy and take the chance of getting picked off with all those eyes. On my way driving to hunt the day before I seen a lone Tom strutting and also in another area several Toms strutting in a bigger flock. That's why I'm wondering do they breed and just not lay or even on a decent year with above freezing temps lets say they lay seven eggs and then it gets quite a bit below freezing for a few days and they  arent sitting. What happens then ?

marshboy

1iagobblergetter

I live in North Central and hunt North East..

2eagles

50 mile radius around Wloo / CF area