OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Birds Falling in Maryland!

Started by wcampbell, April 21, 2011, 05:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcampbell

Well the 2011 Maryland season has started off pretty well.  Reports of lots of birds falling on our youth day last saturday brought high hopes for opening week. 

Opening day started off slower than I had anticipated but with clear skies and no wind patience was the name of the game. 

8:45 found me walking over to my first opening day Tom ever. 

Weighing in at 22.5 lbs and sporting a 9" beard and solid 1" hooks, I was smiles from ear to ear!

Caught up on some well needed rest on Tuesday morning and was ready to get after them Wednesday morning.

With reports of birds using the field later in the morning, I was not surprised to only hear peepers and cardinals at first light. 

Onto another farm. 

Approaching the farm I spotted a great looking Tom with two hens in the far corner of the field.  After what seemed like a mile hike to get around on the birds I was greeted with nothing but a pack of 10-12 beagles and some of the fastest running turkeys I have ever seen. 

Off to other obligations (with high hopes of returning before noon).

Around 11:15 on my way past one of my other farms I decided to check for sign and maybe slip in on some loafing birds. 

11:45 found me once again walking up to my second and final bird. 

A better bird than Monday (easily a 4 year old), sporting a 10.5" beard, 1.25" spurs, and weighing in at 23.5 lbs.  Not a bad way to start and end my 2011 Maryland season! 

Top priority now is to get my girlfriend Jenna her first bird and to capture more birds dropping on film!

Congrats to all those who have killed birds this season (it was brutal sitting here reading and looking at all the pictures before our season opened up) but it was worth it in the end!

Thanks for looking!

~Wil
First Light Productions

Branson

Congrats on a great, albeit short, MD season. Monday will be my first time out at the earliest, but I'm optimistic. Good luck with getting your girl a bird! What part of the state are you hunting?

Basser69

Congrats on a couple of great birds ! ! !  :z-guntootsmiley:

wcampbell

We're over here on Eastern Shore. Bird populations have been dynamite the past few seasons!

Hognutz

Congrats on the two nice gobblers... :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

JVA54

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Wrangler95

:anim_65:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

turkey slayer

trkycaller

cannonball

bowhunter84

Branson

I live on the other side of the Bay but hunt the lower Eastern Shore. I'll be over there Monday calling for a buddy. Hopefully we can get him a bird. Saw your post on MWC by the way.

NCTURKEYHUNTER

njdevilsb

A couple of nice birds there.  Congrats on a great but quick season.