turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Non Turkey Hunting Question

Started by Sir-diealot, April 13, 2018, 04:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I was just wondering if anybody has ever used this product, it is something I am thinking on getting over the summer because of my shoulder surgeries to make deer hunting a bit easier on me. I also intend to add a recoil pad from Limbsaver. Have you heard good or bad about it? Graco BreaKO Mercury Recoil Reducer Standard 7/8" x 4" 14 oz

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/678973/graco-breako-mercury-recoil-reducer-standard-7-8-x-4-14-oz Thank you for any help given.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ozark Ridge Runner

Not familiar with that product.  14 ounces of lead in the butt stock will work just as well and costs about 80 cents.  A muzzle break will tame your rifle down considerably. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozark Ridge Runner on April 13, 2018, 05:28:05 AM
Not familiar with that product.  14 ounces of lead in the butt stock will work just as well and costs about 80 cents.  A muzzle break will tame your rifle down considerably.
I am not interested in a muzzlebreak due to the increased noise, how would you go about adding lead? Thank you for the reply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

dutch@fx4

A lot of trap and skeet Shooters use those Mercury shock absorber ideas in their butt stock. Basically any high-volume shooters.Thy seem to help

zelmo1

Try " Stock Lock", website is , www.StockLockSystem.com. They do competition shotgun stocks with recoil systems. If they can't do it, they can point you in the right direction

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on April 13, 2018, 06:18:54 AM
A lot of trap and skeet Shooters use those Mercury shock absorber ideas in their butt stock. Basically any high-volume shooters.Thy seem to help
Yes that is where I intend to put it, well in the back anyway, gun has a one piece stock. Thanks for the reply.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 13, 2018, 06:53:52 AM
Try " Stock Lock", website is , www.StockLockSystem.com. They do competition shotgun stocks with recoil systems. If they can't do it, they can point you in the right direction
Thank you for the suggestion but their cheapest stock is $1500.00 and that is more than I make in a month! I about had a heart seizure when I saw the prices.

John Koenig:

spaightlabs

What gun and loads are you shooting, and what type of environment do you deer hunt in?

I've seen guys who have never had a shot further than 100 yards because they hunt in heavily wooded areas insist they need a 300 Rem ultra mag to shoot a whitetail when a 243 is more than enough gun and a 30-30 would do the job easily...

There are a  lot of ways to tame recoil. 

Don't poo-poo the muzzle brake ( it isn't breaking the muzzle, rather braking it) -  you can get an acceptable set of noise reducing muffs for a pretty low price.

Adding weight will help a lot.

And an often overlooked method is to handload.  Every swinging richard is always looking for the hottest, fastest 1000 yard load which is just silly.tone the load down a bit and you take a lot of bite out of the recoil.

Good luck in your quest.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 13, 2018, 08:58:41 AM
What gun and loads are you shooting, and what type of environment do you deer hunt in?

I've seen guys who have never had a shot further than 100 yards because they hunt in heavily wooded areas insist they need a 300 Rem ultra mag to shoot a whitetail when a 243 is more than enough gun and a 30-30 would do the job easily...

There are a  lot of ways to tame recoil. 

Don't poo-poo the muzzle brake ( it isn't breaking the muzzle, rather braking it) -  you can get an acceptable set of noise reducing muffs for a pretty low price.

Adding weight will help a lot.

And an often overlooked method is to handload.  Every swinging richard is always looking for the hottest, fastest 1000 yard load which is just silly.tone the load down a bit and you take a lot of bite out of the recoil.

Good luck in your quest.
I am not the greatest shot so no I am not trying to get a 1000 yard shot. I do have reloading equipment but have to relearn it and learn if further as I was out of the game for 17 years so I have forgotten most of what I had learned back then. I am loading Nosler bullets for all calibers I shoot, the deer gun being a 30.06 and if I recall correctly they are either 165 gr. or 180 gr. projectiles and I am using Winchester brass. I have a Pact digital dispenser and scale as well as the Lee 75th Anniversary scale and press but I use the digital more as it is easier for me to read. I also have digital Calipers. I will post picture below of the Pact equipment I have but it is not my personal picture, just one I took from the net to show you what I have.

Most of my stuff is at a friends who was teaching me to reload but he has been through a lot with cancer so he had moved back in with his mother and left his house to his son who moved everything to who knows where so right now I am having a hard time getting anything but I know I need to before summer as I want to load some .222 and .243 for woodchucks.

Before you suggest the .243 I should point out that it was set up as strictly a woodchuck gun and has a huge 50 MM scope on it and it not the best for deer hunting because of that. I always shot it off a Harris bipod.

I would rather not have to wear muffs because to be honest I do not have great eyes (Multiple surgeries on both when I was a kid) and I have heard every animal I have ever shot far before I saw it and rely heavily on my ears when hunting and this is why I do not want to go with a muzzle break.

As far as environment goes it is a mix of fields and woods normally. Unless I have a good rest I really don't shoot over 100-150 yards as I want to be fair to the animal and not wound it.

Thank you for the good luck wishes.

John Koenig:

howl

A reduced load and some weight added will take recoil down to unnoticeable while still having plenty of smack for 150 yard deer. If you can trade around to a 25/06 or .260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor, using 120gr bullets at full velocity will do the same.

Tail Feathers

My friend has one in his 20 gauge due to severe neck problems.  Not sure it's the same brand, but his definitely helps with felt recoil.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

spaightlabs

I like where your head is at!  If you are shooting under 200 your chances of making a very ethical kill are greatly enhanced - thank you for your respect for the game!

You might give these a try to see how they work for you.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition/centerfire-rifle/managed-recoil.

I have a very light 12 ga o/u that my wife got me for our 10th anniversary.  No recoil pad.  For high volume shooting like dove or pigeon or sporting clays I always shoot low velocity, low noise rounds - never a problem and they kill just well.  If I try to run snappier rounds through that for a day it beats me half to death.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: howl on April 13, 2018, 10:10:35 AM
A reduced load and some weight added will take recoil down to unnoticeable while still having plenty of smack for 150 yard deer. If you can trade around to a 25/06 or .260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor, using 120gr bullets at full velocity will do the same.
I would rather come up with another load to be honest, I rather like the gun though I do wish I had gotten a clip fed one. Thank you for the recommendations though.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 13, 2018, 10:49:26 AM
My friend has one in his 20 gauge due to severe neck problems.  Not sure it's the same brand, but his definitely helps with felt recoil.
That is encouraging to hear, thank you.

John Koenig:

g8rvet

I put the same style in a Benelli Nova to tame the 3.5" duck and turkey loads I shot when I was young (and dumb).  It most assuredly made a big difference in felt recoil. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.