turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Roosted gobbler putt?

Started by The wanderer, April 12, 2018, 08:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The wanderer

Hello all. I've been reading on this forum for quite a while , but this is my first post. I've enjoyed learning from everyone on here. I've got a question. My season here in Wisconsin starts next Wednesday April 18th. I went to a spot to listen this morning to see if any birds were roosted in the area. I've seen sign here before but never hunted it. It will be a short walk and close to my work so I could get a quick hunt in before work. Also, it's public land that's seems to get a decent amount of people walking dogs, hunting, etc. Well, I got to a spot at least 200 yards from where I believe they would be roosted. I got up on top of a hill to hear better. As it's getting light I noticed a Tom roosted only 30 yards from me. He has no idea I'm there. He's all by himself. Starts off by fanning and spitting and drumming. Ended up gobbling 7 times starting at 5:30. Finally,at 6:25 he starts to cluck, or at least what I think was clucking. Five minutes later he flies down, but flies probably 150 yards away down a trail that leads out to a field. Which, is the direction I believe the birds go most of time. My question is was his clucking really putting, and he might have finally seen me and got spooked?

TauntoHawk

Most likely yes he saw something that made him nervous once it got light enough, could have been you. I wouldn't worry about it they probably putt and run from something every single day especially in areas used for recreation alot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HoosierHills

I'd say you got busted, but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I have called in birds I shot at and missed the day before. I feel like they have some sort of reset button once they hit the roost.
Foot on head.

The wanderer

I was figuring that I got busted. I had on all Camo except my face mask. I think he saw me look at my watch. I was hoping he'd fly down when he did as I had to make it to work by 7. I won't be possible hunting him for another week and a half, and then I my next tags are for the last two weeks of May. Do gobblers usually cluck on the roost?  This is the closest I've ever gotten to a bird on the roost, and it was by accident. I should've played it safer, and hung back another 150-200 yards.  This turkey hunting is a continuous learning process.  Thanks for the replies.

dublelung

I wouldn't worry about that at all. He doesn't know what you were, he just assumed you weren't natural and used caution. I've spooked them off the limb and killed them an hour later. You most likely heard a putt instead of a cluck but yes they'll cluck on the limb, as well as on the ground. Good luck when you hunt him!