OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke Tube Lube

Started by Sir-diealot, April 11, 2018, 12:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I have always just put some 3 in 1 oil on the threads of my choke tubes and I was wondering if it really makes a difference in using that or choke tube lube? If so is Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube a decent brand? I am getting ready to place a order for some stuff today or tomorrow so I wanted to know. Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

nitro

I use Wilson Combat brand gun grease on my choke tubes. Never had one get stuck. Ever.
Royal Slam 2008

stinkpickle

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 11, 2018, 12:23:28 PM
I have always just put some 3 in 1 oil on the threads of my choke tubes and I was wondering if it really makes a difference in using that or choke tube lube? If so is Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube a decent brand? I am getting ready to place a order for some stuff today or tomorrow so I wanted to know. Thanks.

I've always used the Birchwood Casey stuff...never had a problem with it.

Sir-diealot

Thanks for the replies, guess I will go ahead and order it then.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Bowguy

Any kind of anti seize stuff will work. Even automotive stuff

strum

Quote from: Bowguy on April 11, 2018, 01:04:35 PM

I used spark plug anti seize grease they sell at the front counter for 99 cents.  5 years later my choke screwed out slick as butter.

Dtrkyman

Never used any, just gun oil and keep it clean, pull it out once in a while and check it, maybe 3 times each spring? Never had a choke stuck either.

WNCTracker

Quote from: strum on April 11, 2018, 01:20:00 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on April 11, 2018, 01:04:35 PM

I used spark plug anti seize grease they sell at the front counter for 99 cents.  5 years later my choke screwed out slick as butter.
I asked the same question a year or two ago and here is the answer.

.99 cents, plenty to use for years and will keep in a ziplock bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey_picker

Birchwood Casey or anti seize will be better than straight oil. Just a light coat of it will keep your choke from sticking.  :anim_25:

BTH

Frog lube green grease. There's a product called Super Lube synthetic grease I use on my waterfowl choke that works great too.
Phil 4:13

Sir-diealot

Thank you for all the replies, last night before I went to bed I went ahead and ordered the Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube and a thing of black Carbo Mask face paint for sitting in the blind. I am going to buy a choke tube case to keep them in next month when I have a bit more cash, right now they are just in a zip lock bag along with the wrenches and I would like to protect them a little better than that.

John Koenig:

Gamblinman

You do not need any face paint in a blind. Just sit in a back corner...they'll never see you if you don't move. I wear a black or dark brown Tshirt and have never been seen. I've had mature birds get nervous from the blind, but some purrs and whines called them down and they came right on in.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gamblinman on April 12, 2018, 05:49:43 AM
You do not need any face paint in a blind. Just sit in a back corner...they'll never see you if you don't move. I wear a black or dark brown Tshirt and have never been seen. I've had mature birds get nervous from the blind, but some purrs and whines called them down and they came right on in.
I have a problem that most don't, I have always been a figgeter because of my ADHD and that was made much worse because of two car accidents, mainly the last that causes me lots of pain so I do all I can to help cover any movement. I wear camo til I get to the blind and then switch into all black on the upper body including a black Rynogear head cover and I just want to cover up my very pale 1/2 Irish skin that glows in the dark :D Overkill maybe, but it would not be me if it were not overkill.

John Koenig:

mtns2hunt

Never, used choke lube. I am very particular with cleaning my guns. A light coating of gun oil usually does the trick plus its very easy to clean. Never used face paint either just my regular mask - generally try not to over think things unless some thing costs me a bird. Just my two cents.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.